Planning on getting a dog at the end of July. Any Advice?

aleksei43

Hello y’all!! I’m planning on getting my first dog around the end of July and was wondering if there’s any advice y’all could give me?? I’m planning to get one around the size of a Maltese.

@aleksei43 It’s easy and cheap to make all your own dog food.
Even cheaper if it’s only a small dog breed. Egg shells are very good calcium, can crush into a powder if the dog doesn’t like eating whole.
Kibble is the worst thing you can feed. Unless you can afford something like Ziwipeak which is amazingly good, I would just stick to home made. Experiment, research and your dogs poop will have little to no smell. Lots of veggies and no carbs. Think of Keto, thats what a dog should be eating

@aleksei43 There is a ton of advice here. I think the important thing to start with is whether or not you are looking for a dog or for a puppy! Puppies require intensive care for several months, and potty training can be hard. Older dogs may have different pasts, but may fit your lifestyle better.

Food is up to you. Feeding raw or homemade can be great but also super expensive, and hard to formulate the correct diet. If you decide to go this route, please please please consult with a licensed veterinary nutritionist. There are the big three dog food brands that are created and approved by veterinarians. Purina Pro Plan and Hills Science Diet are the two that I can think of right now. These are accessible and formulated to create all nutrition a dog needs. You are always able to add toppers or fun things, but their diet does not need to be 100% homemade or raw.

Figure out your training methods in advance. Kikopup is a great resource for positive dog training at home. Remember, puppies are literal babies who just got ripped from everything they've known. Training should always be positive, and you should stop before it gets frustrating for both of you. Always end on a positive note.

Finally, this is a fun and exciting adventure! Advice is always available here, or on the puppy subreddit as well.

@aleksei43
  • 1, adopting a puppy from a registered dog breeder in October. As it’s a shikoku I already set the plan to have a personal dog trainer close by for quality social dog-contacts. Dog school is on the schedule as well.
Appreciate any tips you could throw at me :)

@aleksei43
  • 1, adopting a puppy from a registered dog breeder in October. As it’s a shikoku I already set the plan to have a personal dog trainer close by for quality social dog-contacts. Dog school is on the schedule as well.
Appreciate any tips you could throw at me :)