Picky Dog

billbennet

We have an adopted Chihuahua. She’s lived with us for about four years now. She won’t eat, and never has.

She was originally found living at a convenience store living off of old hot dogs. Totally feral. Humane Society had to use a trap.

We have given over 40 formula samples from different brands over the last year. She only enthusiastically ate one food. It’s grain-free, so we don’t want to use it. She also farts a ton in it.

The vet had us perform a very controlled elimination when we got her because of ear issues. She’s allergic to chicken… they think. So I guess I’m asking you lovely people for suggestions for a chicken-free, grain inclusive food. I’d just like to see if anyone suggests anything we haven’t tried. She’s the least food motivated critter I’ve ever met.

@billbennet just food for dogs? grandma Lucy also has a premix that you can add meat to to make a full meal I believe. As does honest kitchen. So you could technically prepare the food for her but it would take out some guess work and time for you. Plus you could mix up the protiens easily if necessary. Lots of brands are coming out with fresh frozen (Grain inclusive) foods that are pretty palatable.

@mike1911 Would be perfect, but again, much time spent in hotels with no way to cook her proteins. I have no problem with this at home, as I’ve discussed with my vet, but it’s just not realistic with our work life. I have to discover something that’s convenient that she can eat. Hotel room, or even in the car. Making it more challenging, our vet would like to see her on a WSAVA approved food. She won’t touch the big brands. Today I was home, and I made her food. She ate it with no problems. The next four days we are tent camping. We usually take canned food for these trips which works out “okay.”

@billbennet sorry, missed the travel/hotel part. I will say that the JFFD pantry fresh is a great option for traveling. You just need a fridge. I don't know many healthy dogs who have passed up JFFD. But chis are a different breed when it comes to pickiness, lol. Could you buy canned, cooked chicken and use that as the protein in the premix? You could also buy canned salmon. You could also do raw meats instead of cooking them or buy a pre-ground raw that you can just scoop and serve. I'm not sure if you're into feeding raw though, but its a suggestion. Maybe she would like raw better? I also know that some Royal Canin formulas have a Pallatability Guarantee or your money back. Royal canin tends to be most palatable out of the big brands imo, especially the wet options.

@mike1911 The sad part is she loves Iams, Royal Canin, and Purina canned foods… but they all have chicken in some form or the other. I simply cannot afford prescription diets on disability income. She won’t touch Pro Plan Sensitive (seems to hate salmon). Considering feeding her something she’ll eat even if it makes her a little itchy, and just giving apoquel because it’s more affordable than prescription canned HA foods. She just always want what she had those first few months of her life. We were at a park a few days ago for a concert. There was a hot dog vendor, and she lost her mind over the smell. 🤦‍♂️

Back