Overdid my dog’s double coat with a de-shedding tool

lulubec

Hi, I need some advice for my 8.5 y/o pomeranian. His fur was recently cut, about a month ago, and I used a furminator de-shedding tool on him, just on his back.

I REALLY overdid it and took out a lot of his overcoat. I have no excuse, I just got carried away. I thought that when the furminator stopped collecting fur, that he was “fully deshedded.”

Before I knew it, his fur was really rough, dark in some areas, and his skin was visible upon close inspection. I feel absolutely terrible. He’s physically fine but I’m worried about his coat growing back due to his age. His health is normal.

So, will his coat grow back properly?
Is there anything I can do to help that process?
Since his skin is more visible, should I give a sweater or shirt to wear?
How can I safely de-shed him in the future?

Thanks so much!!

@lulubec Stop using a furminator. Use a slicker brush and metal greyhound comb instead.

His hair will likely take a while to grow back properly. The issue with the furminator brush is that it can damage the top coat if not properly used, the teeth can cut and that on top of stripping out more than dead undercoat is what has damaged his coat. You need to keep brushing it regularly, but not over brushing, to promote coat health and keep the undercoat under control.

@livelifeliving33 Thank you so much. Definitely chucking the furminator in the garbage.

I have a few different brushes. A slicker, a double sided metal pin and bristle brush, and a rotating tooth comb. Do you have a recommendation for which to use for nightly care?

@lulubec If the metal pin brush has caps on the end it probably isn't going to work for his coat and the bristle side is useless as well. The rotating tooth comb is fine for loosening up undercoat but it won't be able to do good detail work. I'd look up line brushing and use the slicker mostly, follow through with a metal greyhound comb to check for any snags.

@lulubec Keep brushing his hair gently with a slicker brush to help stimulate hair growth. It should grow back eventually, but it may not be exactly the same as it was before. I wouldn’t worry about putting a shirt on him or anything unless he goes outside just to protect from the sun. For future reference I definitely would not use a furminator on a Pomeranian, i would recommend a slicker brush, a greyhound comb, and a rake to help get out his undercoat. :)

@cglil Thank you so much!!! I’ll be buying a greyhound comb soon for sure.

He goes on 2 walks a day so I was worried about his skin getting damaged by the sun. So I’ll probably have to get a shirt

@lulubec People are suggesting a slicker brush. IMO, that is the wrong coat to use for a Pomeranian. The better option would be the a pin brush. You want one without the "safety tips" that are common on the ones sold at pet shops. Ones sold for those to dog show exhibitors would be better for you. Brands include #1 All systems, Chris Christensen, Madan, Artero among others.

The pin brush will do the job of separating the hair while pulling out the undercoat. A slicker will fill up with hair and if used improperly can scratch the skin.

Back