Our 1 y/o GSd won't eat and has very soft stools

graemewagh

We've been having trouble getting our 1 year old GSD Bailey to eat and she's been having very soft stools very often. She weighs about 65 lbs and is on the thin side but healthy.

Sometimes the stools will be firm and formed, other times it will be very soft and other times it will be diarrhetic. My sister has been trying to feed Bailey different diets over the past number of months and and over time she'll stop eating them. She's currently on Merrick puppy kibble and wet food and we add in pumpkin to try to firm up her stools. We were just prescribed a powder that is supposed to enhance diet and increase nutrient absorption as well but she is refusing to eat the food that's been mixed in. When we try adding in human food like chicken or fish, she just eats around all the kibble to eat the human food.

My sister is now talking to a vet about a prescription diet. Bailey's also recently gotten over a case of Kennel Cough and has some benign papilloma warts on her lips. She's going to get them removed soon and the vet will check down her throat to see if there's any there. I've been saying that perhaps Bailey just isn't hungry or has to be exercised more for her to eat but my sister is going crazy over this.

Has anyone else experienced something like this with their GSDs? When we first got Bailey, she had intestinal parasites that we cleared up but I'm also wondering if perhaps she gained more. My sister has shot this idea down from the start.

@graemewagh My doggo has been terrible about food since a puppy. She will eat for a day or two then refuse. Wasn’t until we did a good trial for allergies thar we found a diet she will eat consistently. Overall if the dog isn’t losing weight, she is eating enough

@graemewagh Just finally figured out similar issues for our 10 month old boy. Science diet gastrointestinal biome (wet and dry) have been a miracle. We tried soooo many things before this, and finally he had firm, regular stools.

Also make sure you are deworming as recommended by your vet.

Edit: it is a prescription food, so talk to your vet about it.

@graemewagh Have you retested stool for giardia? It can be stubborn to get rid of and easy for them to reinfect. If that's not it, talk to your vet about EPI if she is losing weight while eating.

Be care about creating a picky eater though. Dogs are gamblers and if they think something good is coming they will hold out. If no health issue, put food down 15-20 mins (quit the human food additions), pick up. Put down normal food ration at next meal time. Keep repeating. No healthy dog has been known to starve themselves.