Orphaned Puppy Help!

johncval13

Hello! I'm a first timer raising orphaned puppies. They were very lethargic and weak when I first recieved them, but after taking care of them for 5 days they're doing good but I wanna make sure I'm doing the very best j can!

This is what I'm doing right now:
I own two puppies. Lil Mac is 6.4oz and I feed him 24mL a day ( 1.5ml every 2 hrs )
And Big Mac is 7.5 oz, I feed him 28mL a day ( 2ml every 2 hrs. )
They're only 5 day old German Shepherd puppies.
I keep them in a heat pad that I regulate 24/7. I haven't slept in the last week taking care of them. Is there anything that I can do better ? Am I feeding them correctly ?

I need all the advice I can get!

@johncval13 Please see my comments at the following links. They are generally pretty similar, but have minor variations based on the OP's specific circumstances.

For feeding quantities (and the link is in most of the comments), see: https://www.maddiesfund.org/assets/...Bottle Feeding and Stomach Capacity Chart.pdf Note that this is a generic chart assuming 0.9 kcal/ml energy density. If your formula has more specific instructions, use them.

If you have questions, please feel free to ask. I am not a vet, but I am an experienced whelping and maternity foster.

Edit: Make sure you read the parts in my comments about the heating pads. They need to be able to get off it so they don't overheat. Have both a heated segment and non-heated part of their living space available.

@johncval13 It sounds like you're off to a great start. I don't know how much puppies that size need, I've only fostered kittens before, but you're correct they do need to be fed incredibly frequently.

Have you contacted a foster or rescue to ask for tips?

@kethi I've contacted a vet who gave me pretty good answers on how to deal with dehydration and stuff. But I'm glad it's going alright ! Im doing allot of research and I'm happy you replied

@johncval13 Ok awesome! I learned the first time with kittens from lots and lots of youtube videos, reading, and vet advice as well. You can do it! It's exhausting but so rewarding. I already had 2 dogs and 2 cats at the time so someone from my SO's work ended up adopting all 3 of them together, it was a happy ending.

Thank you for saving those babies.

Back