Older puppy (3 months F) would not stop following younger (1.5-2 months M) puppy, humping him, and biting him

euphilia

So, i have two puppies, one chow-husky mix and the other one a pure husky (the younger one), yesterday when we introduced them to each other, the older dog would not stop following the younger one around, trying to get on top of him, biting him constantly, etc. I decided to separate them for a while, but then when it was night I put them back together in our living room with one bed for each. For almost an entire hour the older puppy followed the younger one around nonstop, humping, biting, making him cry, ans thats when I separated them.

What should I do? Why is this happening?

@euphilia Should probably do some research on Littermate syndrome. It's typically not recommended to get two puppies that close in age because of the negative behavior patterns that frequently present

@nikkideamus Yep, I did. I've been trying to keep it from happening, they don't sleep together (one sleeps with my parents, the other one with me), they don't eat together, and i often switch them up between the yard and the inside for each. I've been doing what one of the commentors said and the older puppy is now more chill around the younger one, i let them interact a bit now but only if theres someone present

@euphilia Not a pro but your older one is over aroused plus a puppy. If it were me I would literally just hang out with them to keep the older one off the other until they figure out how to control themselves.

@euphilia This is normal puppy behavior. Pup just wants to play.

To help the younger pup, have the older one on a leash. Allow the younger puppy to choose to approach and then if the older puppy gets too overbearing and the younger cries, give a little jiggle on the leash and tell her "No." You can physically hold her if she doesn't respond to "No" yet. Give the older puppy positive reinforcement for playing gently ("good pup" a little petting, etc.) Not food as that can complicate the relationship between the puppies if they compete for the treat.)

The younger puppy will be able to leave. If it keeps coming back immediately you know you don't really need to worry. If it stays away, then you know you need to manage the older puppy on a leash until it learns to be more gentle.

Just have the older puppy on a leash whenever they are together for a little while, until it learns how to play more gently. It should not take longer than a few days.

Back