nutrients

shruikan

I have a 2y/o APBT mix, we do so much exercising, i wonder what else i could’ve doing to get her fats, proteins and vitamins to help her gain weight.(she needs it.)
i can’t raw feed, and can’t afford to splurge on supplements so if anyone has any cheap + accessible ways to enrich their dogs meals/kibble, LMK!:)

@shruikan I buy whatever meat is on super sale in bulk and freeze it, and then cook portions of it at a time and add it to my dog's normal Honest Kitchen food. She's tiny though and just needs additional protein because she's 15! So it still might be costly to do this for a larger dog but sometimes you can find beef hearts and other non-choice cuts for pretty pretty cheap!

@shruikan Does the vet think she’s under weight? Some breeds look lean but are perfectly healthy and may ignore the extra food. Does she finish her kibble? If yes, just increase the serving size a little and see if she gets closer to a healthy weight over the next few weeks.

@shruikan Raw goat milk is a good addition. You can find some meant for dogs at any feed store with a freezer. The brand is called Primal but I’m sure there are others

@shinemoon cool! i can actually get my hands on goats milk pretty easily, so this is helpful!
what’s the ratio of kibble/food to goats milk look like for you?

@shruikan Honestly I have never measured, just enough to soil the kibble. I would gradually add it and see how the dog responds. Maybe start with 1/4 cup and work up if you need to. Not sure how large your dog is.

Back