Nulo v Merrick v Wellness Core v Dr. Tim

joejoe58

Hi all, my 10yo GSD, Brutus, has an obnoxiously wide set of food allergies, typical GSD late life joint concerns, and itchy skin due to completely unavoidable grass allergies. He's been on Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream for a few years with his brother, but we recently lost his brother and instead of just spending less on food, we decided to spoil Brutus and get him a better dog food. I've spent the better part of the day researching foods that don't have any of his allergens and seem like they'd be good for his skin and joints, but at this point it's really hard to read through the marketing to pick one. Hoping Reddit can give me some insights. Thanks!
  • Nulo Freestyle Limited+ Grain-Free Turkey Recipe Dry Dog Food
  • Wellness CORE Ocean Whitefish, Herring & Salmon Recipe Dry Dog Food
  • Dr. Tim's Heirloom Ancient Grains Fish Formula Dry Dog Food
  • Merrick Grain-Free Real Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe Dry Dog Food
  • Merrick Backcountry Freeze-Dried Raw Grain-Free - Pacific Catch Recipe Salmon, Whitefish & Trout
  • Merrick Limited Ingredient Diet Grain Free Real Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe Dry Dog Food

@joejoe58 If you really want to switch, I would just pick the formula most similar to his current kibble, so there’s not too bad of a transition.

Personally if he’s 10 & been doing well on Taste of the Wild, I would stay there as it’s comparable to the other brands listed. Instead I would add mix ins and meal toppers. I add bone broths or goats milk, + allergy-friendly wet food or freeze dried raw, + fresh fruits or veg. Mix it up day to day so each meal is exciting, but keep the stable base!

Back