not sure what I'm gonna do

ujjaljoy

Just need to vent for a second. I have a 5mo Bernese mountain mix and I currently live in Alaska. He LOVES being outside in the snow and we've had about a foot of it so far, but today was the first day it got down to 0°F. He's constantly wanting to go outside cause he wants to eat snow and dig, but his boots won't stay on. If he just steps on his other paw they come off and I had to chase him through the yard earlier cause he grabbed it in his mouth and tried playing with it.

Earlier he stood by the door wanting to go outside and so I put his collar and leash on and took him out. Since I was going out with him on his leash I figured it was gonna be a quick trip, so I skipped the boots. He peed and then started trying to eat snow and I was trying to redirect him to come back inside but he wasn't listening. I was cold, getting frustrated and he just wouldn't move. He started lifting his paws off the ground like he was uncomfortable, and I tried enticing him to follow me but he just wouldn't. I tried picking him up and he kept backing away and getting stressed out (he hates being picked up.) I have stairs and a deck so I'm standing on the stairs while he's at the bottom refusing to come up. I got so frustrated I started crying. He finally followed me inside and I just sat on the floor crying. I think he knew cause he just calmly sat on my lap and let me love on him for a while. I felt so bad. Like what am I gonna do when his boots won't stay on and it's -20°F to -40°F outside?

If anyone has any tips for pottying in super cold temps or winter dog gear please let me know. We've shoveled areas in the yard as much as possible but he doesn't use those areas

@ujjaljoy Maybe not helpful, but winter dogs are just built different. They get stubborn when they snow comes out! The best advice I've gotten was dogs won't make themselves uncomfortable on purpose. Did you see any signs of injury or frostbite on his paws afterwards? If not, even though it was super cold, he was probably still okay for that potty break.

For winter gear - I prefer taller boots with straps at the ankle and another toggle at the top. They're much harder for dogs to get off.

Canada Pooch soft shield boots are an example, as are the Muttluks Deluxe.

@hazelelponi yeah man i agree with this. my great pyr mix sleeps out there. granted it’s never in the negatives but we’ll get 4-5ft at a time and she will stay out there all dang day. she comes to the door when she’s ready to come in but that is a rare occurrence

@ujjaljoy Have you tried Mushers wax? It’s a waxy balm that dog mushers put on their dogs paws to protect them as they pull and run on the snow and ice. They sell it in most pet or feed stores. It will help prevent cracking and drying of the paw pad and prevents those icy snowball spots from building up in the fur between and on the toes. Also helps protect against the salt that sometimes is on sidewalks and roads in winter.

@ujjaljoy Okay, I don't mean to offend. I am just curious. But would you kindly explain to me, does your dog need boots for a quick trip for potty? I live in Europe, sometimes it snows here and sometimes it doesn't and our dogs paws are not sensitive. If it's only a quick trip for potty, maybe boots are obsolete?

And then I googled the temperature in Celsius. Yeah you know what, nevermind, the doggo probably needs those boots at such a cold temperature. Since it's still a puppy and stuff.

@skeptic25 Google was telling me that dogs are normally fine but when it starts getting below 0 to watch out for their paws. He's not fluffy like a husky so he doesn't have the extra paw floof to protect him. Plus they keep his paws dry for in the house

Back