New puppy, new parent

peace967

I brought home my best friend Bo a few days ago. He is an 8 week old “bully” or American bulldog.

I usually have TONS of free time from work, but here recently, with my luck, I’ve been having to spend about 10 hours a day away from home. I bought him a large kennel (42.75” L x 28.5” W x 30” H) and I put it in my office which is about a 7ft by 5ft area. We wake up in the morning and eat and potty etc, then I put a baby gate up at the entrance to his area and leave the TV on for him. I have puppy pads down and his kennel remains open throughout the day with his toys and blankets inside. When I come home I immediately clean up and disinfect the area and feed him again. We play for a couple hours while I wash and dry his blankets.

He is still pottying inside his kennel even though it’s where I feed him. Should I continue to use his area for the daytime and move the kennel into my bedroom? Or am I doing this all wrong as a whole?

Also, is vet advice acceptable here, or is there another sub? On his first visit he has hookworms and is not due for another visit for a few weeks and I have some concerns. Thank you everyone in advance!

@peace967 Is now the best time for you to be taking care of an 8 week old puppy? I don’t think it’s very fair to take a baby from their family and leave them alone for over ten hours a day. Can you pay for a dog walker to come in and spend some time with them? I know that people have jobs and other commitments but ten hours a day straight off the cuff is quite a lot.

@peace967 The kennel is too large for him at this point. They should have just enough room to turn around. That will help minimize the area to pee without them laying in it.

Once he is fully potty trained it wouldn't hurt to have more kennel room but still not necessary.

Also remember puppies sleep 16-20 hours a day. He will be fine sleeping most the day in the kennel.

@peace967 I agree with the above, his kennel is too big for him. It’s like a playground and he will continue to pee in it. Can you somehow make it smaller via a divider of some sort?

@peace967 An 8 week old puppy can’t hold his bladder for that many hours in a row. His kennel is too large for him, but even in one appropriately sized I think it would be impossible for him to not go in it.

@outbackhatter I have a divider for the kennel I will start using. I wasn’t meaning to word the post in a way to say I was expecting him to hold his bladder, more so I meant if I was at least doing it right. I have someone to check on him when they have time as well. Thank you for the input.

@peace967 Oh okay yeah if someone checks on him in between then that will help. Young pups can’t hold it more than about 2 hours. But absolutely making the kennel smaller will help a ton.

Back