New puppy coming but work pattern has changed - advice please!

texasmom33

I'm looking for advice so that I can give my new puppy the best care possible.

I am expecting to pick up my new puppy from the breeder next week. I have wanted a dog for so long and I'm one of those people who prefer dogs to humans lol. We couldn't have a dog before as we were in a flat and didnt think it would be fair for a dog. But we moved into a house earlier this year so are now able to.

I do think we have so much love, care and attention to give to a dog. I am so, so excited to be getting this puppy. I also think a dog will be good for us too after the last few years of lots of bereavement and loss. A dog will enrich our lives as I know can his (getting a boy pup).

At the point of agreeing to get a dog we were in a good position. My partner worked from home entirely. I work hybrid so I'm in the office some days and at home other days (roughly 3 x days in the office and 2 x working from home) so we felt we could be there for the puppy alot of the time.

After putting down our deposit for a puppy and getting ourselves prepared we found out that my partner was getting made redundant from his work, which came totally out of the blue and we were not expecting this. He is going for job interviews, but all these jobs require him to be in the office full-time Monday to Friday.

I am now worried about leaving the puppy for longer at home than I first thought, as I thought my partner would be at home full time to be here for the puppy.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

I do plan to take the whole of next week off to help puppy settle in and will be taking a week off again once he can go out for his 2nd lot of injections.

I should also mention that I work about 3 minutes from my home so I am prepared to come home for lunch each day (on the days im in the office) to feed / spend time with / walk etc the puppy now that my partner won't be at home. But is this enough?

I am over the moon to be getting this puppy. But I am aware that it's not about my needs, it's the puppy's needs.

Do others manage with having a new puppy at home while they are at work?

Thanks