New male pup trying to breed w established female dog, wdid

truecompanion

Got a 18 mo male dog (34 lb) and he isn't neutered and he wants to have sex with my 2 yo female dog (65 lb) though she is fixed.

He gets neutered in a week. We got him 4 days ago.

Do I separate them? He is trying to penetrate her and even though I have my eye on the situation, I can't watch them every single second, and he's relentless.

Is this harmful for either dog or to their potential bond? I have never had a male dog and I don't know what to do.

Help!!

@truecompanion she will likely eventually get irritated and may turn on him. My dog who was already fixed tried humping my in laws dog a few times while they were watching him for me and she eventually turned around on him and bit him. To this day they will fight if together so now I have to board him when I go out of town

@truecompanion I've had a horrifyingly unstoppable hump monster come through as a foster. It's so uncomfortable and annoying! Just so you know, it won't be an immediate fix after he gets neutered- it takes time for the testosterone levels to fade down. You definitely should plan on running interference for a couple weeks. If you don't have a crate for him, you should get one.

Some strategies you can use include tethering your male dog to you (leash him inside like you would with a housetraining puppy) so he can't get to your female dog and also watching out for high-excitement times to specifically manage differently. Some dogs hump when excited, and so situations where a lot is happening like when human comes home from work, after a walk, or around meal times are likely to trigger a humping episode. You can proactively prevent this if you plan ahead so that the male can't access the female during this time.

You could also try and encourage the kind of relationship you want the dogs to have by setting up times to practice being calm together. For example, male dog is on a leash and female dog is nearby but out of reach, and both are doing a snuffle mat. Or everyone goes on a very long walk, and then we have quiet TV time together.

@truecompanion Get a crate or gate and separate them. A new dog shouldn’t have full access to your home and other pets either, unless fully supervised. The dog has not gotten accustomed or decompressed enough to see if there any behavioral concerns or social issues.

With how small your male dog is once your female dog is fed up she might physically injure him as well.

@truecompanion keep them separate - she will likely turn on him.

this could be related to stress but it could also be a male who just doesn't know how to act around females.

it sounds like you haven't introduced them properly either, you NEED to keep them apart and keep meetings short and sweet between them. it'll take the male weeks or months to fully settle in, get comfortable, and show his personality.

@truecompanion The humping has nothing to do with s.. - it's a sign of stress.

Separate the dogs, stop him every time he does it.

Make sure his needs are met, he needs to use his brain and body and be helped to relax in his new environment.

Neutering isn't going to fix a behaviorial issue. I know neutering is looked upon differently in the states and so be it, but it's not without risq.

@idkusername honestly, i always thought they left the cervix and below intact - i'll have to look into the procedure as i've never thought about what they would leave if the cervix is removed with the uterus

@mimi94 Cervix is no longer necessary and would most likely be removed (otherwise it would be an opening into the body, leaving the dog susceptible to infection) leaving just the vaginal canal. Depending on the dog, it will depend on size. A bigger dog would have a longer canal vs a small dog.

Back