New Dog Owner Here

ec0684

Hi, all. Recently separated dad of 3. Just adopted a 1-yr-old pup from my local shelter. He’s right around 50lbs, he’s been on anxiety medication while he was in the shelter, but I’m hopeful that life with me will be calm and loving.

@ec0684 And remember- shelter dogs need 3 days to decompress, 3 weeks to find routine and 3 months to really blossom into their forever home

@ec0684 Congratulations!!! And thank you for adopting and not buying. I got my dog from the shelter after a bad breakup and she’s been my loyal companion for years now❤️‍🩹💕

@pixey Thank you for the encouragement. Adoption just felt like a no-brainer. My guy is conked out next to me on the couch. I know he’s going to take some time to adjust, but the quiet of my home compared to the chaos of the shelter seems to be agreeing with him already. I’m betting he gets the best night’s sleep he’s had in a good long while.

I can’t wait to take him for his walks tomorrow and see him explore his new neighborhood!

@ec0684 Go easy! Sometimes a 2 week shutdown period is recommended and I would definitely suggest that for a dog that is known to be anxious. Their whole world has been taken, turned upside down and shaken like an ant farm.

Just the shortest, most relaxed of walks, if he doesn’t feel like walking that is okay too. You really really want him to “get” that he can tuck tail and run if he feels safe, that you will “evacuate” him and bail him out, that he doesn’t have to try and stand his ground and fight his way out of a scary situation.

Going super slow is key to a smooth transition. If they want to sit down on walks just let them look around and take everything in. If they try to drag you home… that’s a good thing. You want your dog to know the way home if they are loose and get spooked.

I also can’t recommend enough a martingale collar: if you size it correctly it shouldn’t choke him when pulled tight, but it shouldn’t fit over the base of his skull either. Last thing you want is him popping out of his collar if he gets spooked.

@cathya Thanks for all of this! We took a 10-minute walk this morning and he was pulling on the leash the whole time, so we will be taking it slow as he adjusts to his new home before working to train to keep a loose leash.

5-min out, he decided to turn around and come home, so that was encouraging to see him feel ready to do that.

@ck01 He had an accident strait away when we got home, so Tonight we worked on treats to support going potty outside. While he was napping, he kept waking up to check and see if I was still there. Eventually, he just scooched on over on top of my lap and took another snooze.

Tomorrow we start exploring outside and working on routine for walks.

@ec0684 Pro Life Tip - you can probably get a prescription from your vet to get your pet's anxiety medications at a regular pharmacy. The cost went from $40 to $6 for our dog (this is in Canada).

@tedstriker76 I was given a 2-week supply from the shelter. I’m
Hoping he won’t need to continue after that time. My place is very quiet and relaxed. He’s the only pet.

@ec0684 Lots of daily bonding activity - walk with him, sit with him, talk with him. My first boy was a badly abused rescue - he taught me that dogs feel gratitude. They give you back 150% of the love you put in, it's an excellent investment. Good luck to you and your boy - keep him safe and well.

@kylein Thank you! His first walk today was tense. He was pulling against the leash the entire time. Second walk over lunch was entirely different. Leash was lax and he was walking by my side without any instruction.

Been encouraging doing his business outside with treat rewards when he does. Only one accident in the house so far.

I have a crate and a bed on order so he can have a private quiet space all his own tomorrow. He wants so much love and I’m so happy to give it to him. Last night he sat curled up on the opposite side of the couch from me, and today he just jumps across my entire lap when he wants some rubs. ❤️

@ec0684 Awesome! I'm glad you think of the crate as 'his space' - I suggest leaving it in a commonly-used area, door open, maybe some comfort items inside. I keep mine in the kitchen - my girl goes in there often in the hot weather for the nice flat surface, and goes in on command happily (she gets paid, of course). I also am a believer in treat rewards - make sure you keep a rough calorie count so you can adjust his intake easily when you need to. I just use kibble for treats, she likes it fine and it's 1000 treats for twelve bucks instead of 50 treats for fifteen.

@kylein The kitchen! That’s exactly what I was thinking. I’ve ordered a bed for him in there as well. Night (my pup) and I both agree he loves treat rewards. Thanks for the tip on the kibble. He’s lost a fair amount of weight at the shelter, so I’m being a little lenient in his calorie intake at the moment. Nothing crazy, just tasty.

@queenofhearts1992 Thanks - I’ll keep an eye out. Currently he doesn’t seem as much on high alert as he does seem curious about every corner of my home and want to eat all the time. 😆

And if we make eye contact he jumps in my lap. 🥰