New Dog Owner Advice

spicer

My wife and I just inherited my MIL’s new pup(Luffy, a 9 months old chihuahua). We love him and already have his toys and food and bed and everything to make him happy.

My job offers discounts on pet insurance, but I’ve seen mentions that it’s unnecessary unless the dog has an illness. Luffy seems healthy, but he’s never been to a vet since he’s been born.

This is the first dog I’ve owned, so I’m curious: should I take Luffy to a vet or somewhere for general care first? If so, is there anything I should try to have before taking Luffy there? Documents or information needed?

Secondly, if pet insurance is suggested, should I apply for pet insurance first? If so, what information would be needed for him to get insured?

Thanks for reading and the advice!

@spicer Hello. So excited for your new puppy. Having a dog is a wonderful experience, they give so much love but they also require love and care.

First of all, I would strongly advise you to find a trusted vet and get your fur baby to an initial check-up. Just like for us, humans, it's important for them also to have periodic check-ups to ensure they are strong and healthy.

Regarding pet insurance, you could ask your vet for an opinion. There are several factors involved in making this decision:

- your dog's breed and any predisposition to specific health issues. Some breeds are more prone to certain conditions, and insurance can be particularly beneficial for them.

- research the typical veterinary costs in your area for routine care, vaccinations, and potential emergencies. Compare this to the cost of insurance premiums to determine if it's cost-effective.

- assess your financial ability to cover unexpected veterinary expenses. Pet insurance can provide financial assistance during emergencies, reducing the burden of high veterinary bills.

Being a new dog owner can be an overwhelming experience as the puppy requires a lot of attention, energy and new items. Here's a video that might prove useful to you: Top 10 essentials for a new puppy