New Dog (1 y/o rescue) Intro to Current 9 y/o

ai1226

My fiancée and I just adopted a medium sized 1 year old rescue yesterday who has some known anxiety issues. We brought her home and introduced her to our 9 year old Shih-Tzu/Bichon mix and it went well. We did a slow intro on neutral turf, then went into the yard, then the house.

The new dog has a lot of energy and is very interested in what our current dog is doing. We also have cats, and put up a baby gate to give them some safe space. Interactions with them have gone well. I noticed her staring at them yesterday but it’s tapered off today and she seems a bit more used to them being around.

We have had a great second day today, until randomly new dog started showing her teeth at current dog when we were all on the couch. Then she went after him, even though he was just sitting there. Now he is very nervous about her being close to him.

I know she has some energy to burn off, so I’m taking her out to play every few hours, teaching her simple commands like sit and paw, and aim to take her out in the morning and night for long walks. We live in NV so it’s very hot and we can only spend so much time outside before the heat gets to all of us.

Looking for some advice here on things I should be paying more attention to, things I should be doing more of or differently, etc. Thanks!

@ai1226 I'd suggest not allowing dogs on the couch right now. Often just being up and very close to humans can create issues. Keep a leash on new dog as ur just getting to know them and will see more behaviours over next few weeks. Having a leash just gives u extra quick control. For example as soon as they growl is get up quickly but calmly grab the leash, and remove the dog from the room for 5 minutes. It's just easier and less chance of increasing tension by using leash. Watch for really small signs and see if u can notice the small signs dog is getting aggressive/nervous and abt to act.

Check out the 3 3 3 rule for rescue, and keep good routine (which u found like u have), and keep social circle small and allow new doggo to bond with you. Good luck!

Back