New 9 week old Aussie pump and 1 yo dachshund aren’t getting along

nikki103

My wife and I decided to get a new dog in the spur of the moment and brought home an 8 week Australian shepherd (both dogs are female). When introducing them to each other, our dachshund didn’t seem to like the idea of another dog in our house while the Aussie just wanted to play. They sniffed each other and seemed okay at first but it seems our dachshund has been jealous and has snapped at the new pup a few times but no actually fighting. The past couple of days we’ve kept our dachshund in our bed room and the Aussie in the living room since that’s the only place not carpeted in case of accidents. There is a gate between the two rooms and they can see and sniff each other. Occasionally I’ll pick one of them up and let the other sniff each other and treat both if they react positively. This seems to have worked to a degree but there are still some growling and I haven’t left them together at all. Are the steps I’ve taken appropriate or am I doing something wrong and need to try something else instead? Any help is appreciated.

I feel like I also need to add that our dachshund has never snapped at anyone or any other dog. She has also never really been around a ton of puppies but has other dogs that are normally much larger than her. She normally just whines and rolls over on her back because she’s so excited but that is not the case here.