Need your help! Broken nail issues

claudiu

Our 4 yr old, Abbey is a pit lab mix. And she is go go go. The problem is she’s always running, and turning. And we’ve had 3 or 4 nail issues since we’ve had her (about 4 months). Yesterday she broke a nail but it’s still pretty solidly hanging on.

So two questions. What do you do with this kind of injury? Will it dry up and fall off or will she take care of it?And how can we better protect her from hurting herself?

Thanks for your help!

Pic:

@claudiu Our dog had nail issues frequently when we first got her. She was very active, as well, and would break them on rocks by the river.

I would trim off the hanging part, if she will let you do that. Otherwise it could catch on things and rip.

We had good success with a biotin supplement that strengthened her nails. After 6 or 9 months she did not have any more issues with tears, splits or breakage. It may have been a “poor diet” issue before she came to us, and the biotin was not the reason the issue resolved. This is just my anecdotal experience.

@claudiu If it were me, I would go ahead and cut it off with nail clippers. Some corn starch or styptic powder I mb it starts bleeding with firm pressure.

Yes it might hurt, but it's probably more irritated now hanging there.

Source, am a professional dog groomer

Back