Need help with dog on dog resource guarding

mattjstead

I moved in with my GF in November of last year with my 3yo F German Shepherd mix into my GF's apartment with her 5yo F Siberian Husky mix.

They had spent a lot of time together before that and seemed to get along fine. This spring, after a few months living in the same apartment, my GS started to show signs of resource guarding from the Husky. I think we accidently triggered it by my GS getting into the garbage can while we weren't there - and then kept doing it a few more times before we completely removed the can from the kitchen - and my guess is there were fights over garage while we were away, given they both had brought garbage back into their respective places. We learned our lesson, but I'm afraid we may have done some damage.

It's clear that my GS was the chief aggressor here. Guarding over food, toys, and bones. And not just growling, but biting the husky. Thankfully that thick coat of hers means she hasn't been physically injured. The Husky just ended up retreating to her spots in the apartment when my GS would get aggressive.

We've removed any free floating toys and bones from the house. They are now fed and play with toys/bones only while separated by a X-pen. After we started doing that, things got temporarily better. The Husky was able to reclaim some confidence and space back in the house. They seemed to get along well again. But guarding began over my partner and I - and a bit over their respective beds - and eventually it seemed the Husky began to want to fight back and even be the aggressor herself. Obvs this elevated the whole situation.

Currently, we're keeping them separated entirely by the X-pen and only reunite them briefly with both on leash. Those interactions go well and it appears they both are eager to play with each other - which they did often. I've also started my GS on trazodone to help her deal with her anxiety. Been on it for a month+ now and her anxiety levels have definitely decreased, but hasn't help with the guarding. Not that we thought it would, but it was clear she had a lot of anxiety when in the house/car. Hoping to let things blow over for a month or two and then try to reunite them again. I really don't want to have to live with them separated forever. Any ideas/advice?

https://preview.redd.it/lumsr8kk20h...bp&s=078bfd93ccd3cb5a7d467fa1a55ec404ae618efd

@mattjstead You have two adult bitches who, in about six months, had to deal with one of them RG'ing to the point of fighting.

And now it's escalated to where the other dog is fighting back, and now they're RG'ing the humans.

I really don't want to have to live with them separated forever.

I can't see into the future (wish I could!) but when two adult bitches decide to not get along, that's pretty much a done deal.

You can maybe get them to have enough of a détente to be able to let them play in the yard together, with very careful supervision but probably not more than that, consistently and safely.

People do live with a regime of crate and rotate for some dog's entire lives. It's not fun and it's a pain in the ass, but it keeps everyone safe.

Breaking up an actual dog fight between those two dogs is going to get the human a trip to the ER in most cases.

Been on it for a month+ now and her anxiety levels have definitely decreased, but hasn't help with the guarding.

That is sadly your answer: you can decrease anxiety but her RG'ing is more rooted in doing it because that's what she does.

@davecb
You can maybe get them to have enough of a détente to be able to let them play in the yard together, with very careful supervision but probably not more than that, consistently and safely.

That's where we're currently trying to get to. Keeping them separate for a few months - but within sight of each other and playing with toys/bones adjacent to each other, but divided. We have had brief - a minute max - reunions with both of them on leash. They both showed signs of wanting to play with each other - which I find encouraging. Even after the RG had escalated, they still often played together a few times a day. It all appeared healthy. Our next step is reintroducing in a neutral space but we've decided to wait until at least Oct before we try it.

That is sadly your answer: you can decrease anxiety but her RG'ing is more rooted in doing it because that's what she does.

I know trazodone isn't intended to reduce RG, but it has been obvious that the GS's anxiety issues really took off when we moved in with the Husky. I do get to spend time with her away from my partner and the Husky in a different space, and she's a very different dog. She's a much more relaxed dog when I walk her alone instead of with the Husky - which has ceased for the time being. Much less anxious. Still considering a switch to Prozac to see if we get a different result.

Thanks for the suggestions.

@mattjstead Sounds like your GS would do better as the only dog. Did your dog need meds before the move-in? It seems like you are trying to cover up this fact by trying serious meds on a dog that just wants to be an only dog household.

@kimmarqy We both think she would probably do better as an only dog, but that's not an option with our relationship and moving in together right now. Rehoming her is not off the table, but we're committed to try everything we can before getting there.

She wasn't on meds before the move in, but it's clear that when she's around the husky her anxiety levels skyrocket. And when I leave her with my partner for a few days as I go somewhere, her anxiety around missing me is so high that it leaves my partner anxious and unwilling to want to watch her without me there. (I know, she's a GS, that attachment should be expected, and that dedicated companionship is also what I love about her). She has calmed down and relaxed a lot more since being on the meds. We like the results we've seen.

@mattjstead A few thoughts...

We dealt with resource guarding issues with our Aussie - we worked thought then all at first, but then he started showing signs on RGing me. We addressed this by having me essentially stop all training and having others in the household doing all of it, and feeding the dog too. For our dog, this had a very quick impact. I would suggest consider changing up who is working with which dog. And doing lots of training.

Contact a good trainer who has experience working through rg situations like this.

Check out these resources from Leerburg

https://leerburg.com/groundwork.htm

The info in this article is very similar to the advice we were given for working with our rescue Aussie, and we had great success.

@cathyj
We addressed this by having me essentially stop all training and having others in the household doing all of it, and feeding the dog too.

Interesting. I can make that happen, but not all of the time. My partner and I have different work schedules where we couldn't consistently do that, but at times we can. If we're both home, I'm almost always the food giver to both of them. I can see the rational behind this, and this doesn't sound to me like a risky thing to try. I wonder if me spending time with the Husky while my partner spends time with the GS might be effective? I mean like a whole day or two.

Thanks for the advice.

@mattjstead I would recommend finding a dog psychologist, but if that’s not an option - focus on the controllable things.
  • don’t leave them out when no one is home (they should be in separate kennels or in separate rooms).
  • keep a short leash on both of them so that you can easily control them if they start to fight, also it will help direct them to their proper bed if needed
  • go back to the basics: set boundaries for the dogs, they no longer are allowed on human beds/couches etc. These dogs need to know that nothing in the house is theirs except their bed and kennel. They should each have their own dog bed and kennel, and in the evenings they should be chilling on their beds. Redirect them back to their beds as needed. Limit the affection you give and how you give it - and be cognizant of the other dog seeing it.
  • exercise your dogs a ton. You have two high energy and strong minded dogs - make these dogs so tired that all they want to do at home is sleep and could care less about the other dog. Every morning and evening get these dogs outside and running, weekends should be bonding opportunities- go on hikes/explore new parks/ beaches. Get these dogs to go on new adventures and exhaust them. Then at home it should be chill time (on their respective beds). Hold them accountable by using the leash to direct them back on to the bed.
These dogs may never be bffs. But focus on creating tired dogs that are complacent with another dog in the house - and have nothing to fight over - and ensure when no one is supervising them that they are separated

@mr_skyfish
exercise your dogs a ton. You have two high energy and strong minded dogs - make these dogs so tired that all they want to do at home is sleep and could care less about the other dog. Every morning and evening get these dogs outside and running, weekends should be bonding opportunities- go on hikes/explore new parks/ beaches. Get these dogs to go on new adventures and exhaust them.

I'm a forester and I get to take my GS into the field with me all the time in the summer and fall. Long days slugging through brush in the mountains at elevation and she is right with me every step of the way, off leash. So right now, she's getting a load of exercise, but also a ton of alone time with me. The guarding started escalating again around the same time that I started making routine field visits again back in May. Could it be that the amount of time she and I are spending alone - 3-4 nights/days a week - are causing her to be more protective of me? The rules when her and I are alone used to be more lax but we've recently tightened them up to be the same. No furniture. Sleeping in her bed. No more cuddles in my bed. Etc. Meanwhile, the Husky doesn't get as much physical activity. We live in the Central Valley of CA where it's hitting 105 degrees everyday and only dropping to 70 at night. (My partner got her when she lived somewhere much cooler - moved here with her for work. We do feel bad about having a husky in this environment and are hoping to make a move back to cooler temps in a year or two) So we take her for walks at 4am but the rest of her exercise during the summer has to come from other mentally stimulating activities. So there's a big exercise discrepancy right now, but the more exercised dog still seems to do the most guarding.

Then at home it should be chill time (on their respective beds). Hold them accountable by using the leash to direct them back on to the bed.

We've had to be hands on about this. At first we thought it was cute - that the GS would occasionally hang out in the Husky's bed and vice versa in the same room at the same time. We have woken up in the morning to them in swapped beds a few times. Neither seemed to be upset about it. Now, the Husky won't step foot in the GS's bed but I still find myself regularly moving my GS out of the Husky bed and back to hers - except now the Husky is isolated in another part of the house. The GS is totally laying claim to Huskys bed. All I can think to do right now is to keep moving her whenever it happens and to reward her when she's in her bed.

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it. It is in line with some of the things we've been implementing and confirmation of things is great to have. We've discussed with a behavioralist but haven't had her out in person yet. I'm optimistic we can at least live in harmony. My GS has proven herself to be highly trainable and she adapts really quickly to learning new routines.

Back