Need help finding a long blade dematting rake

fcs2525

Hello everyone,

I have a wooly Siberian husky who gets mats pretty easily, especially after swimming.

I removed most of his large mats, but now he has smaller ones, and I don't have the proper tool for it.

After extensive searching online, I found the perfect product, but it seems to be out of stock everywhere I look.

It is called the Master Grooming Tools 20 Blade Dematting Rake

On PetEdge dematting tools chart it is referred to as TP19127 MGT Ergonomic Dematting Rakes 6½"L x 2½"W x 1½"H

This is the item on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/251377887646?var=550307782497

I can't find any other manufacturer who makes a similar product. Can anyone provide any help here?

@fcs2525 I honestly don't like these tools. They damage the coat and are a high risk for injury.

Just out of curiosity, how often do you brush your husky and do you make any attempt to dry him after he swims? I just find it kind of weird he mats that easily, when his coat type isn't really known for matting. It's known for undercoat impaction which is different, but caused by lack of maintenance just like regular matting.

@thegiant I do not dry him after he swims, because we are usually out deep in the wilderness and he dries naturally with wind and sun exposure. I mentioned him easily matting up after swimming because this is the only way that he mats up easily. He usually swims in brisk spring-fed creeks and rivulets.

When he gets the mats, brushing him becomes unbearable for him, so regular brushing becomes a bane rather than a relief.

At this point, I am just looking to remove his mats so that I can go on with my other grooming routines.

Is there another product you would suggest I use that will get deep enough without him squirming in pain (the rotating pins type of rakes cause him pain while the other rakes which have a more curved design have very short blades for his coat type)?

@fcs2525 Water tightens up mats and makes them harder to remove. This is why it's recommended you blow out or brush a coat that is packed with undercoat before it's bathed or wet. I suggest looking for an undercoat rake (non sharp one-Safari is a good brand), shedding blade and a slicker brush as well as a comb if you don't have already. It's a lot of work removing undercoat, especially on a husky. Brush/comb regularly to avoid matting and packed in undercoat. Good luck to you, and please be safe.

@socaldisciple Thank you for your suggestions. I've tried these and they don't get deep enough. I have to part the fur every so often to get mats which these tools wouldn't pick up. Every non-sharp tool that I use causes him pain. If the sharp rakes cause coat damage, why do manufacturers keep making them? They must have their purpose, right?

@fcs2525 Chris Christensen long slicker will get down to the skin, and also using a greyhound comb to check your work. Chances are your husky is compacted and regular grooming such as brushing the undercoat, a proper bath and dry is necessary to keep the undercoat in check with this breed. This way you can do your hikes and swims and not worry about his coat getting ruined after an air dry

@fcs2525 I forgot to acknowledge the price. They are worth it when you’re ready to upgrade. But a metal comb will do enough to help you make sure you get down to the skin. Line brushing is an option too if you have a shorter slicker brush. I have never line brushed a husky, usually doodles, but I’m sure it would work the same so that you can demat /or deshed those rough spots

@fcs2525 You should buy a high velocity dog grooming blow dryer and blow him out either while wet or after he dries. This will get so much of his hair out before having to brush him. Then you can follow up with a long-pinned slicker brush, then metal comb. It will be much less painful for him than brushing out the mats. If you need a recommendation, I can post a link.

@fcs2525 If your husky is sensitive to brushing too (my mini aussie is), I just bought the Equigroomer (originally for horses) and he doesn’t get so anxious. I’ve tried several other brushes before this. This brush is awesome for sensitive dogs!

@imagebeastmarkbeast Thank you for your suggestion. I do have a similar comb to the Equigroomer, or at least I think it is similar, the yellow-colored Furminator. This one doesn't get deep enough though. I usually use to to remove fine burrs.

Back