Need advice! Should we get a dog?

racetech

Posted this on r/dogs, trying also here.

My fiancé and I are thinking of adopting a dog at a local shelter. We both love dogs and have had dogs growing up and we are really excited about welcoming a new furry baby to our family. This would be our first dog as “adults” meaning since we left our parents houses. We are in our early 30s living in an apartment in NYC. Our families live far away from us (either elsewhere in the US or Europe). Our financial situation is good and would allow us to cover dog-related expenses (adoption fee, license, food, vet, health insurance..). Our job schedule is flexible so (post COVID) we could work out our schedules to leave the dog alone a little as possible.

However here are my concerns:

(A) we don’t travel often (maybe twice a year) but when we do we go see our families for extended periods of time (2 weeks top), therefore we would have to find a place for our dog during that time. I’m not familiar with boarding facilities since in my past experiences I always left my dog to trusted family members when I was away. None of our close friends here have dogs so I also would feel nervous asking them to take care of it while I am gone. If you could share your experience with dog daycare/boarding I would be really grateful! We of course would also consider reducing the length of our away time and travel by car (with the dog) when possible.

(B) this is not in our plans at the moment but I am European and my fiancé and I have discussed about maybe move to Europe in a few years. I am nervous about traveling with a dog, especially with a larger dog since it’d be traveling in the cargo area which sounds pretty stressful. Have you ever moved a pet overseas? I would love to hear your experiences.

Sorry for the long post, maybe I am overthinking this but this is a big responsibility and I want to plan ahead as much as possible before we adopt. Would it be irresponsible of us to adopt a pet?

@racetech It makes me feel good that smart people like you and your partner think of these things before getting a dog. I am always very concerned by the lack of thought that people tend to put into these decisions!

A) We board our dog often when we travel. It can be expensive but I think a good quality place is worth the money. Something I watch out for personally when choosing a place: how informative, thorough, and friendly the staff is. I’ve taken my dog to a couple of places that didn’t answer my questions in much detail when I asked (before, during, or after the boarding). They just didn’t really seem to know what dog I was talking about. The place we take him to now knows who he is and makes themselves knowledgeable about his schedule and personality during his stay. They are so helpful and never fail to answer all my questions. If you call a place and ask questions and they seem bothered that you’re asking a bunch of questions, don’t go there.
This is just how I feel, someone please tell me I’m crazy if this is too picky of me!
B) I’ve never flown with my dog. I know that he would get extremely stressed out in a plane. But I do believe that your vet should be able to help you with some sort of sedative that could help them feel calm.

Hope this is helpful!

@racetech Dog ownership can actually be pretty low maintenance if you dedicate the proper time to training early on. It’s also the most rewarding experience of my life to this point. So I’d say yes, 10/10 recommend getting a dog. I think your concerns have serviceable solutions, so in my view the upside wins here.

@racetech I don't think you're overthinking! You sound like great future dog parents who want to be prepared, which is awesome for whatever lucky dog will end up in your home. I had the same thoughts as you, and have had my girl for over a year now. From your post you seem like you're in a good place to adopt.

A. Start looking at Rover, or research people who watch dogs. I'd avoid boarding at facilities if you can, since those can be stressful for a dog. It took some trial and error through Rover, but I found a family with a dog who gets along well with my girl, and the wife is a SAHM, and absolutely awesome. Find a family/person like that, and have your dog stay there regularly (1-3x per week) for daycare. That way when you need to take a trip, they are already in a familiar place. This setup is also cheaper in my experience than boarding. Another thing I want to mention is, if you happen to get a dog with anxiety, you can ask your vet for help via medication. I took a 3 day road trip with my dog and it helped her calm down a LOT. So don't be afraid to ask the vet for it if you think it'll help your future dog cope with the stress.

B. I have not gone through this, but will eventually. There is a lot entailed in moving a dog internationally. This website is what I've been using to prepare. I plan to purchase the necessary travel crate a couple years in advance, so my dog can be in a VERY familiar spot while moving through the airport and cargo hold. Pets may have to quarantine upon arrival, but if you get the proper shots and vet appointments beforehand, that time can be shortened. My main advice for this (as I'm navigating the same situation myself), is that you have time on your side. Get the correct paperwork, prepare yourself to do what is required to a T, including shots and vet visits and proper airline approved crates and guidelines... and be ready to help your dog adjust to your new home. Keeping a familiar routine will help.

I hope this helps and if you have more questions I'm happy to help, I went through the same thoughts you guys did and my life (and her life) has only improved since adopting my girl. 🖤

@bathanh Thanks this was absolutely helpful! We will definitely look into Rover too.

Are you planning to travel with your dog yourself or hiring a professional pet mover?

@racetech I haven't decided yet on hiring someone, currently I'm planning to move her myself. Certain airlines offer pet care along the way. As I approach the time where I'd be moving, ill be able to tell if hiring someone would be a better option. Without having actually gone through the process, I'd say that if a professional pet mover means less stress and hardship for my girl, then I will 100% do that, no matter the cost.