Need advice on switching over to 1099

savedbygrace71

Hey everyone,

I've been a dog groomer for around 7 years now and I've always been W-2, since it's just easier to let the people I work for handle my taxes out of my paycheck.

However, recently the owner of grooming salon I've been working for for over 3 years now has sold the business to a new owner. And I've decided that I just need to go ahead and switch over to 1099 for a few reasons.

In the recent past, my boss's accountant wasn't taking enough federal withholding out of my paychecks, so for the past two times we've done our taxes, we've owed money for not putting enough federal withholding in it. And so when we did our taxes in February and realized we were dealing with the same issue as last year, I filled out a new W-4 and put in the extra withholding how much I needed taken out every week to not owe money. But a month and a half latee, even now, when I check my pay stubs, they still aren't taking enough out of withholding. So with being 1099, I'm in charge of my taxes. It's more work on me, but it's better that way. And even my boss said it's not that hard, you just have to know how much to put back for taxes.

Another benefit I look forward to is being able to have control over my own prices. I live in a relatively small town, and alot of our clientele is older. Which is why I think our prices are a little bit cheaper than others. But honestly, there's so many regular grooms I do where I feel like I'm being cheated out of my own time and effort by the price of the groom. I don't plan on jacking my grooming prices up, but I'm still doing $45 grooms for a something that takes me around 2 hours. I thinking starting price should be $55.

Anyway, there's other benefits, and I just feel like it's better for me to go 1099 and it'll be easier for the new owner (who is younger and this is her first owned business, but she is a groomer too) to not have to worry about having a W-2 employee.

But the reason why I'm making this post is that I'm having trouble figuring out what exactly my next steps are in transitioning over to 1099.

Like what's the very first thing I need to do? Do I need to legally having liability insurance as an independent contractor or is it just safe to have one? And if so, what's a good place to get liability insurance as a dog groomer? Do I need to buy my own payment system like a Square? My coworker who's 1099 has her own, and so when checkouts her grooms, she uses hers and not the business Square.

I just have a hard time doing stuff like this because I work better with a step by step breakdown of what I need to do. But I know this is the better option for me.

Thank you so much!

@savedbygrace71 In order to do 1099 you have to run your own business. That means make an LLC, get liability insurance, negotiate a contract with the property owner, get your own phone number, make your appointments, set your hours and prices, get all of your own supplies, accept all payments yourself. Essentially the place you are working should have no involvement with your business or customers. If that isn’t possible you can’t do 1099.

@origamimaster81 It absolutely can be, but it’s best to check with a real lawyer/accountant to see your best option. I was able to continue under sole proprietorship, i also was considering an S-Corp. you just have to make the right decision for you.

@4606 I have thought about eventually, when the time comes for it, putting money down to build me a grooming shed on my property and groom at home. We are just working on other things right now.

@4606 My coworker is 1099 and she works for my boss's business......she just rents out to my boss. I understand what a 1099 is. That's why I said independent contractor in my post.

@savedbygrace71 I don’t think you do because you literally cannot work for someone and be 1099. That’s illegally classified. The IRS has a full page devoted to the rules i encourage you to google it.

@4606 Then why did my boss ask me if I wanted to be 1099 or W-2 when I got hired? Why do I have a coworker who's 1099? Why has my own husband said that he HAD to be 1099 to work for different companies before he was even able to work for them. I'll do my own research and will speak to a professional accountant to get it setup. But to be honest, your condescending attitude isn't helpful.

@savedbygrace71 Because your boss is trying to skirt the system by not paying taxes on you, it’s a shady move to pull and it takes away from every right and protection employees have AND you’ll get to pay all your own taxes on yourself as well as no protection. It’s not condescending to tell you the truth, I’m sorry you take it as so. If you want to enter into an illegal situation where you’re fucked over 10 ways from sally be my guest.

Back