Need advice on how to keep 2 y/o foxhound from using the bathroom in his crate

gjk123

Hi folks,

I've posted here once before on other matters and you all have been phenomenal, so I'm really hoping you can help me find an answer to this as well!

My boyfriend and I are the parents of a lovely 2 year old foxhound mix. He's roughly 65 pounds, and all legs.

When we first got him, we were also living with my boyfriend's friend, who is a paramedic. So for the first 13 months of his life, even though he was crated at night, he always had someone home during the day. If the roommate was working a 24 hour shift, that was ok, because my boyfriend still came home from the office for lunch every day. If we happened to go out for a few hours, we experienced no in-crate accidents.

In January of 2014 we made a big move from DC to Nashville. My employers were kind enough to let me continue working for them remotely, so from January until September last year, I was with the dog 24/7. He was rarely alone, and we stopped crating him. He has his own dog bed in our room for the nights, and was never a big chewer/destructo-puppy to begin with, so we felt fine doing so.

Starting in July, however, he started acting out whenever we'd leave the house - if only for an hour or 2. So we purchased a crate for him and he goes there every time we leave the house. In the middle of September, I got a full-time position working away from the home. We began crating him for full workdays with no problems whatsoever, and we developed a routine.

However, I believe the separation anxiety started when we broke that routine, or shortly beforehand. The day before Christmas, we drove him back to DC with us, where he spent about 2 and a half weeks NOT being crated, and with somebody around nearly all the time. He was then transported back to Nashville, where we started our regular work routine again.

That's when it started. He now regularly poops and pees in his crate, even if we take him out right beforehand - yet, he still goes both when we arrive home 7 hours later. A majority of the time, he eats the poop, as I've found small trampled on evidence in the bedding we use for him (old clothes we were going to give to goodwill). He also pees and buries that under the other pieces of clothing.

I've fairly certain the cage is larger than it should be for him, but after paying $70 for it, I don't want to stop using what we already have, and pay ANOTHER $50 (at least) for a different cage. We are in the purchase of purchasing a home with ample space for him to run around and play, and will be adding another puppy to the family this summer.

I'm just not sure how to tame this separation anxiety. He literally starts shaking when we walk in the front door after our morning walk, and I feel like a terrible dog-mom, that he's so terrified to go into his crate and for us to leave and then sits in/eats his own filth almost every day. Short of getting a new job and being home every day, what can I do to make this better?

@gjk123 If you think the crate might be too big, it's definitely too big. That was actually my first thought on reading the post. Is there any way you could add a solid divider into the crate to make it a little smaller? A lot of crate brands do sell a divider for the puppies who start out small and end up huge!

I'll let someone else delve into the separation anxiety stuff, but for that you might also try /r/Dogtraining.

@gjk123 You're welcome! I'd add that what another commenter said is probably entirely correct--start crate training from the beginning. Sucks, but you'll likely have better results that way.

@gjk123 Violent changes in environment, such as moving, have caused some anxiety. The only thing you can do is retrain the dog with the crate as if he was a puppy.

You will absolutely want to be sure that the crate isn't too large for your dog, but you'll also have some ingenuity about you, when you find a way to fence off a part of the crate that you won't be using.

Putting old clothes in the crate might be a bad idea. Yes, they have your scent on them, and the dog might find that calming. But he's using your clothes to cover up a 'crime scene'. Just remove the clothes.

@aleeta49 What would you recommend replacing the clothing with? He has very thin skin and the plastic cage bottom causes his elbows redevelop open sores. He also has a tendency to rip things open (such as a dog bed).

We will be looking into dividers today, I didn't even know they existed or it would have been an answer long before now.

I'll look into training him as if from "scratch", also ... Hopefully it's effective! Thank you!

@gjk123 You might try day care for him so he can be around people and play with other dogs to burn off some energy. He's still young. That would give you time to work slowly on re-training him to accept the crate and to deal with his nascent separation anxiety.

@gjk123 If your dog is doing this, he really needs more stimulation IMO. Increase the walks, exercise, mental stimulation, etc. and work to have him be tired before you leave. Once he's totally relaxed, at first leave for 1 second (serious), then very slowly increase over time. You can give him a Kong with stuffed peanut butter / kibble to distract him when you first walk out.

Probably not the advice you want to hear, but you likely need to start over with the crate training and with an appropriately sized crate.

http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/store/I-ll-Be-Home-Soon.html