Need advice on a shedding Golden x Something

unmedicated

She's a rescue and presumed to be a golden x something x potentially wolf (based on the lopping run and the excessive intelligence). I'm living with her (boyfriend's dad's dog) for the summer and worried about the amount of hair she is loosing. She spent the winter living outside with 5 other dogs on a cattle ranch and it might be worth mentioning that we're located in northern Canada (-20 to -30C sometimes). Usually she spends most of the summer at work running around in heavy bush and maybe losing hair there? Unfortunately in the past month she's been sitting at home due to a paw injury and shedding quite abnormally.

I've been using human hair brush with soft bristles since she seemed to like it (it wasn't removing much if any hair) and in the last couple of days a single row pin rake.

She's very patient and quiet and doesn't object and even seems to be enjoying the brushing. I'm just wondering if this hair loss is normal or if I should be concerned I'm accidentally removing too much undercoat as all of it seems to be coming out. There's also been a lot of flaky skin around her rear and anywhere the undercoat has come out.

And here's some photos for reference.

@unmedicated You could re-hair an entire dog from the amount of undercoat some shedding breeds blow out. The one tool I have found better than any other is a basic grooming comb. It doesn't matter the style as I have found that is more of a preference, like which wire brush to use (also a great universal tool) they all do the same function, what's important is what feels comfortable to you. A trick I learned a long time ago as a bather (I've been grooming now for eleven years) is all in the bath. Once you have taken your brush and comb, starting from the bottom up towards the head, and brushed as much as you can muster (this can go on forever before the bath, a good time frame of a proper brush and comb out for something like this could be any where from 45-60 mins) you take a trusted (dog) conditioner, sounds like he/she could benefit from something with oatmeal, and use the comb on the coat again. You will be so surprised at how easily it will slide out, using the same back to front method as before. Use short strokes as longer strokes will just cause it to knot up more at the bottom. One key tool that could come in handy before, during, and after the bath is a FORCE DRYER!!! No joke these things, though they can sound like an airplane, knocks undercoat out of any dog. But those things are pretty expensive if you don't have access to one. But if by chance you do use that sucker! Seriously, before when you are brushing (get ready for some snow like blow out), during when you have the conditioner on it but using quick strokes, and then finally to completely dry it and also blow out any more left behind. Like I said, this method isn't always available so just using the method before should help in a major way. Good luck.

@unmedicated Don't worry, you are helping this dog more than you know, you are pulling out months of dead coat that could not get loose since the dog is not properly maintained. If you started at the bottom of each foot and slowly brushed little bits of hair at a time it will all come out with little problem.

Back