Need advice for a puller. Mixed breed. Female. 13months old. 19kg. Rescued her 9 months ago

hungry27

She does NOT listen to me outside on a walk when people, bikes, kids or/and dogs are around, and there's usually a few around at all times during the day. I have tried to lure her back to a heel, but she doesn't care, even if I had a whole cooked chicken breast with me, she gets quite nervous even if there's only one stranger around, and has been on multiple different walks at different times and routes, since we got her, and she is less afraid than when we first had her, but still not much of a listener, unless we are at home.

Currently, I use a Julius k-9 harness. Hunter collar. Own a hunter head collar/muzzle, she hates it, and I have introduced it to her properly and happy to use it until she pulls, but she doesn't get that if she pulls it tightens, so she pulls and then frantically tries to get it off. I have tried to get her to come back, but some days she is really pully with. Have tried to distract her as she loves the squeaker noise (from toys), by taking it on a walk, she doesn't care. Rarely reacts to the stop as soon as she pulls. She does a quick U-turn and bolts off to pull again. She is really stubborn sometimes.

So I am looking at other options like the Halti front control harness and the other Halti no pull harness, I have heard people on her don't recommend the front control because it restricts movement...

Is there any advice and tips on what I could do? Thanks in advance.

@hungry27 This sounds classically like an undersocialized dog who’s unable to regulate outside due to the stress. The pulling isn’t the issue here, it’s a symptom. Aversive pressure (such as a halti or head collar) is not a good option here, as it’s adding to the stress.I personally don’t like using tools to eliminate pulling (prongs, haltis, “no pull” harnesses) because the dog learns nothing.

Honestly? This is professional trainer territory, if she’s so frightened outside that she can’t focus, she needs some behavioral work.

This is a directory of certified trainers, find a CPDT or CBCC near you.
https://www.ccpdt.org/dog-owners/certified-dog-trainer-directory/

@krikkor Thanks for your advice.
Through that link there’s only one trainer in my country, and opposite side of the country.
She’s accepted my family and my partners family including 2 kids (~8 yrs & ~ 3yrs). It took time, but now she is okay being around them and not be stressed/ run away. And has a few dog friends around and my moms dog she loves.

@hungry27 Your country may have its own trainer registry, CPDT is more common in the United States. Do some googling, you should be able to find a trainer near you. (Good trainers have certifications, so see what your country recognizes as for as these go)

As far as the leash thing goes, I always recommend teaching the dog inside the house before walking outside, and working our way up to other environments. Teach her how to start, stop, and turn next to you, and reinforce the position until it becomes easy for her. Then you can practice just in front of the house, then your street, and then start working your way around town.
I like to do ~2 minutes of leash practice before every walk, just to keep the behavior strong

Back