Natural Balance WSAVA Questions

88delivered

Hey y'all! I asked the team at Natural Balance the seven questions the vets over at Tufts University's nutrition department developed from the WSAVA Nutrition Toolkit so I thought I'd share their answers for anyone wanting to know-

Here's the article on the questions- https://vetnutrition.tufts.edu/2016/12/questions-you-should-be-asking-about-your-pets-food/

And the WSAVA Nutrition Toolkit- https://wsava.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/WSAVA-Global-Nutrition-Toolkit-English.pdf

Their answers-

1. Do you employ any full time animal nutritionists (minimum qualifications are a PhD)?

We employ multiple, full-time professionals with advanced degrees (i.e. PhD, M.S.) in Animal Nutrition and Animal Health and we also have a full-time veterinarian on staff. They are directly involved in the development of our recipes and inform our feeding instructions

2. Who is the person actually formulating your foods and what are their qualifications?

Our staff veterinarian, nutritionists, and other accredited animal nutrition experts and food scientists formulate our products with ingredients that deliver optimum nutrition to support a complete and balanced diet that meets or exceeds the AAFCO requirements for the specific life stage they are developed for.

3. Where is the food manufactured and do you own the plants(s)?

The majority of our recipes are manufactured in the United States either by our Company or a partner that follows our customized quality and safety protocols that meet, or exceed, U.S. Food and Drug Administration requirements.

4. What specific quality control measures does the manufacturer practice?

Our specific quality control measures are confidential due to competitive reasons. We assure you they encompass all facets of the manufacturing process from sourcing through shipping finished products. One of the areas we can share more information about is our safety testing. You can find that information here: https://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/buy-with-confidence/safety-testing.

5. Are your foods tested using AAFCO feeding trials?

Our recipes are formulated to meet AAFCO nutrient profiles by analysis of the finished products.

6. Has your company completed any research and has that research ever been published in peer reviewed journals?

Natural Balance is passionate about providing safe, healthy, and high quality food for your pets. Our pet food and treat products are developed under the direct supervision of pet nutritionists, veterinarians, and technicians. As part of our product innovation and development process, we work with a reputable third-party pet care facility to determine the palatability, digestibility, and enjoyment of our pet food and snacks. This third-party operator shares our commitment to the health and contentment of each pet in their care and does not perform, support, or sponsor invasive testing on pets. The trained staff provides compassionate care, with pets given individual comfortable living areas, regular veterinary check-ups, teeth-cleaning, and daily play activities. Please know that we do not regularly contribute to scientific journals, however, we do share relevant learnings for pet food and the industry.

7. How much sodium is in your LID salmon and brown rice recipe? Please give both the guaranteed and the average analyses in a weight to kcal format.

The Limited Ingredient Diet Salmon & Brown Rice dry dog food has 1.21g/1000 kcal Sodium. This value is based on our typical (average) analysis of the product, so natural variations can and do occur.

@88delivered Just some thoughts

We employ multiple, full-time professionals with advanced degrees (i.e. PhD, M.S.) in Animal Nutrition and Animal Health and we also have a full-time veterinarian on staff. They are directly involved in the development of our recipes and inform our feeding instructions

I find it interesting that they didn't or couldn't say whether it's their Animal Nutritionists that have PhDs or not. They don't even address this in their answer to question 2.

Our recipes are formulated to meet AAFCO nutrient profiles by analysis of the finished products.

This doesn't take the place of feeding trials, but I just wanted to point out that this is definitely the ideal form of analysis. Not every company bases their formulas on analysis of the finished product. The statement "meets AAFCO guidelines to meet the needs of _____" covers both foods that do the above and ones that base it just on recipe.

@servadac Great points! I also thought it was weird in question 6 when they talk about a third party testing their foods using lab dogs. This sounds an awful lot like feeding trials, so why didn't they mention that in question 5, even if they don't meet AAFCO standards and/or are just focused on will dogs eat it instead of nutrition? What else could this be talking about?

Overall, they did okay, but not great. Kinda meh. There's a lot of popular companies that would have done much worse, but they're still no replacement for the big 5 (Purina, Hills, Eukanuba, Iams, or Royal Canin).

@88delivered This is so helpful, I appreciate you sharing this! Maybe I didn't search thoroughly enough, but their website only mentions veterinary technicians. A little weird that wouldn't mention the nutritionists on staff of they have them, but glad to know they're there.

I also feel a little uneasy about their answer to question 3. Which recipes are not in the "the majority" that may USDA guidelines? And are we talking a 51% majority, or something higher.

Anyway, thanks again for relaying their answers!

Back