My should I get my 9 y/o ACD’s fur cut?

hiram208

I’ve never cut my dog’s fur before because I had read that their fur helps them manage their body heat. However, this summer is proving to be a bit much for her. She can barely stand to be outside during the day (90F highs recently) for more than a few minutes and is laying on the AC vent constantly (indoor temp 76-80F). Since she is basically an indoor dog, would it hurt to get her fur cut. Would it help her cool off faster in the house?

Because she is bred for the harsh climate of the Australian outback, my husband just thinks she is suffering from “dainty dog syndrome” AKA spoiled rotten.

@hiram208 Absolutely do not cut your dog's fur. A double coat has important guard hairs that wick away moisture, and prevent skin infection, sunburns and help deter insect bites. Your dog's coat also helps them maintain their body temperature. It keeps heat out, as well as in. Cutting this ruins that function. It's hot out. It's the summer. Climate change is real. All facts of life. Put your dog in the shower to get them wet, freeze blocks of chicken stock with fun things like rawhides in them. Do not shave your dog. ACDs are BUILT for the extreme heat and cold swings of the Australian desert.

@hiram208 Honestly, this just gives you a great excuse to bail on all your responsibilities and have a beach day with your dog! Yes. I must go to the beach. For the dogs... Yes... 😝😋

@laguna_greg Lol, she HATES water. If we are on a walk she might consider dipping her feet into a lake to get a drink but will not swim for any reason. She’ll even avoid walking through damp grass if she can. She has earned the name Princess

@hiram208 My new puppy was like that. She's a total diva. I just fed her a lot in and around water, and eventually she realized in feels nice. Not going to be the case for everyone, which is why the ice trick is good to have.
Also, try a cooling vest, but remember to take it off once it gets warm, because then it's just a wet sweater, and is only making your perfect princess warmer.

@hiram208 Also good to remember that dogs don't sweat like people do, so while wearing a fur coat in the heat seems unimaginably uncomfortable to us it's a bit different to them. Panting is their main tool to regulate temp. So hydration is very important. I spray mine down with the hose before walks/play on hot days. Hes mostly dry by the time we are done.

@hiram208 I just wanted to share this; there's what's called the 5second rule for pets more so dogs. If you're on the way out with your pupper and wonder if its to hot for the pup to go for an outing. They say put your hand on the pavement, concrete, street, whatever count to 5 and if its feels hot to your hands by then- then its even more hot for pups paws. I hope I explained that right.