My Pit-Lab-whatever (f) attacks my Puggle (f) randomly and we're all very stressed

kourtney

We love our Princess. She's sweet to us and playful and loves DogTV and standing on her head. We've had her for 10 years, since she was about 8 weeks old. We got her originally so our GSD (m) would have a playmate. And they were a great pair.
We wanted to help others though, so we took them both to the Animal Humane and found a little by 1-year old Puggle. They all seemed to get along.
Then we had to move to a new house. And out of the blue one day, Princess attacked Puggles and hurt her. But then it went away and they were ok again.
And so began a vicious cycle of attacks over the years. We've isolated it to what we thought was an anxiety thing. Whenever Puggles got scared, Princess would attack her.
Then it started to be when Princess got scared also. Or injured. Or if one of us got injured or upset.
Then our GSD died from cancer, and we thought the dynamic had changed so maybe behavior would change. Nope.
We've had trainers come over, we've taken her to trainers, we're giving her calming treats (first regular and now CBD), and nothing seems to work. We're trying this behaviorist our Vet recommended, but it's our last resort.
We love them both. But we're at wits end.
Any advice?

Edit: Thank you everyone for the comments and concern. We had several visits to the Vet last week because Princess was sick and acting out.
Today, May 10th, Princess was put to sleep in our arms.

@katvan1969 Yeah, we have tried to do everything short of euthanizing, because we were hopeful that there was some kind of option. Puggles wasn't really showing any personality differences until recently.
Not that that's an excuse. We're only human though.

@kourtney No surprises there. Sheep dogs were meant to herd sheep, pit bulls were meant to attack. Nobody denies the genetic tendencies of other dogs—why should pit bulls be an exception?

Sorry to break it to you. People usually think—oh, the pit bull was abused, but as you said, you've had her since she was 8 weeks old, and it sounds like you take excellent care of her. It's just high prey drive that can't be trained out.

I'm not trying to bash you for having a pit; they can be wonderful, lovable dogs. We just also have to realize that all dogs, no matter the type, will have certain genetic tendencies based on the history of their breeding, and be aware of those tendencies.

On the other hand, have you considered Prozac, or has she been checked by the vet to see if she's in pain? Sometimes dogs can snap from discomfort or pain.

@xereco We actually did get her checked for pain yesterday. We haven't tried Prozac yet, but the behaviorist we're supposed to see my prescribe some.

Lol, I take it myself so I know it works ok.

And yeah, pits are known for their tendencies. We weren't aware she was a pit when we got her. She looks like your typical black lab until she gets excited. We think some great dane is in her too, but we haven't cared enough to pay for testing. I always say she's part antelope or some other non-canine creature.

@kourtney Is one of them not spayed? Hormonal cycles can cause one female to try to drive off the other. In wild packs only lead male and female are allowed to breed.

@kourtney I had a shiba inu that wanted to kill my first affenpinscher. I grew up in a quiet family, but this dog grabbing my little guy made me understand what living in an abusive home must be like. I was always scared she would grab him. I had to bring him to vet several times for bite wounds. Moving homes is very stressful on your pet as well as you. It sounds like you have done whatever you can with trainers, etc. watch for a trigger, is it food or toys? If food, feed then in separate rooms.