My dog used my finger for a Q-tip. Is that safe?

seadiane

My GSD is 3/4 Czech, 1/4 DDR. He has infinite energy and is a total athlete. When I run out of jobs for him to do, he likes to play fetch on our property. He frequently kicks up sand and dust during fetch, and while his ears are healthy and smell fine he evidently had some sand accumulation in his ear that I did not see in time which was bothering him. Yesterday I massaged his ear which he was holding lopsided. He enjoyed it. I was going to put some gentle ear cleanser inside but before I did he tilted his head against my thumb and in one quick motion he used my thumb to dig out a large blob of sand from his canal. He was fine after that, no more hurt ear.

I am concerned this was not a safe gesture however. Is this behavior I should discourage in the future? Or am I overreacting?

@seadiane I'm not a vet and am only giving my opinion since Noone else has commented: if your hands were clean, I think it's fine. Your hands are cleaner than sand and it sounds like your dog was happier after. I bought dog ear/eye wipes from PetSmart that I clean ears with frequently, and paws sometimes, face, etc. They're nice to have on hand.

Back