My dog suddenly has a sensitive stomach and gets diarrhea when eating certain foods that normally were OK. Is this just his life now?

shiny1707

My dog is about 3 years old and I adopted him in July. When I met him, he was eating chunks of hot dogs, random treats, and cold cuts at the shelter, no prob. When we brought him home, his poop was soft but we decided it was because he was stressed (v nervous dog). But then disaster strikes, and he gets terrible, terrible liquid poop that leads to use taking him out in the middle of the night 2-3 times.

The vet gave us medicine that didn't work, the chicken and rice diet didn't work, so we switched to Hill's prescription dog food and stopped giving him anything else. When he is JUST on this diet, his poops are great. Then we slowly introduce certain treats (chicken or sweet potato biscuits, mostly) and things remain fine. But! When we give him a little morsel of human food, all hell breaks loose and we're back to square one.

He used to be able to eat all the cold cuts he wanted and now the wrong treat or bit of shredded chicken will send him into a multi-day diarrhea hell. Why is his stomach so sensitive now and is it for forever? I don't wanna worry about him eating a tiny scrap of human food and exploding poop for the rest of his life.

Vet for the most part is completely uninterested in my despair and says to just feed him the rx dog food and basic treats but he doesn't eat basic treats (only likes trendy expensive stuff, the jerk) and I need to train him.

Help! :(

tl;dr: Dog didn't have a sensitive stomach but does now. He's eating RX dog food but it is EXPENSIVE. :O Is this is a forever problem or will it pass in a few months?

@shiny1707 Wishing you luck! We’re going through the same now. Dog just had to do a round of antibiotics because she wouldn’t stop having diarrhea, which was sometimes bloody :( we have her on a combo of Hill’s RX diet (super expensive) and homemade food containing chicken, rice, sweet potato and carrot. This seems to be working for her… for now :(

@shiny1707 Having a similar issue! My dog had just turned 1 yo this summer and had been on purina puppy chicken and rice w/ supplemental canned pumpkin, all of a sudden he was having diarrhea constantly. So I put him on a bland diet of boiled chicken + rice and some probiotics from the vet for weeks. The probiotics helped him but didn't solve everything. The vet then put him on Royal Canin Ultamino. We did that for over a month and his poops were much better on this. Vet then put us on a limited ingredient diet; we used Natural Balance salmon and sweet potato. I'm now trying him out on a sensitive stomach purina salmon and sweet potato because Natural Balance is $$$. He now gets salmon jerky as a treat which he loves. Eventually I want to tryout some other proteins so that he can have more food options. It sucks because chicken is a major ingredient in so many dog foods

@praiseyehoshua My vet recommends stick to the one. Dogs with intolerances usually develop MORE over time. Can confirm - my dog is intolerant to poultry. One day he started rejecting lamb too. Didn’t listen to my vet. :( I’m so scared for the day he rejects PPP Salmon or can’t have beef. I only want to feed vet-approved foods and because of his intolerance to carrots, blueberries, and sweet potatoes, there’s no brand to feed next. 😳

@shiny1707 My dog went through that 6 months ago. Discovered she was allergic to chicken now. She’s on a salmon and rice kibble, and gets a probiotic every day. She also gets frozen carrots and green beans for two of her meals and it’s gotten considerably better.

That being said, it was a loooot of trial and error until we found a combo that worked.

@shiny1707 I have a dog who has always been that way. Earth whole Farms is great for him. He can’t eat hotdogs without getting sick. Mushy or diarrhea happens if he eats mcdonalds nuggets or more than a couple fries. We stick to banana or sweet potato dog treats. Bark Box usually has great treats for him. Unless it’s exotic meat or fish. I would try string cheese or veggies for training treats. Max LOVES veggies. Especially cooked snow peas.🐶

@shiny1707 Same thing with my five-month-old pup. She was fine for months, then out of the blue, explosive diarrhea everywhere. She's fine as long as she gets the PPP for sensitive stomachs plus a daily probiotic supplement, but as soon as we add in anything else, pfffffffwwwat. For like a week. I'm hoping it's just a puppy thing, because for my four-year-old kiddo, leaving a trail of food behind her on the floor is life.

@shiny1707 Have they run a fecal? My vet refused to go the vet food route and suggested we rule parasites out first. I had actually tested my dog a few months earlier for parasites at a different vet that must have totally mixed things up. I sucked it up and gave this vet a sample… wouldn’t you know it my dog actually DID have giardiasis. We just finished meds and all is back to normal now.

@shiny1707 I hear your pain, I struggled with the same issues with my dog. Man I remember those cold nights of getting up 3-4 times 🙈 she was as sorry as I was, but what else can you do? I eventually switched her to homemade raw and solved all her issues. She can basically eat anything she likes as treats, as long as her base diet is on par, she’s set. I would saw see if you can find a single protein food, as simple as possible, and stick to rabbit if you can.

Back