My dog incessantly scratches or barks at my door every morning and night. Any advice/help appreciated!

dynamis777

Background:

I live in New York City and have a one year old pug whom I got as an 8-week old puppy. I struggled with getting him to sleep on his own for pretty much 7 months, but he finally got better and was able to sleep in his crate next to my bed. At the time I still lived in a studio, so he was always next to me in one way or another. When left alone for long periods of time (up to 6 hours), he is very calm and usually sleeps or walks around the apartment with no issues.

Problem:

I recently moved in with my boyfriend to a one bedroom apartment, and we decided to keep his crate in the living room to have our own space. My pug adjusted well in terms of getting used to sleeping there by himself with his crate door closed through the night, but recently he started barking non-stop consistently around 7 am. Last few nights he’d start barking earlier, around 3-5 am non stop. I have read many threads which give mixed answers on whether to let my dog bark it out or not so I've tried a few approached and nothing seems to work.

We usually make sure he goes potty right before bed, and even when we don’t take him out, he wouldn’t go on his pads like normal even when I open the door in the morning after hearing his barks. So I’m assuming he’s just lonely.

When I come out after his first barks, I tell him “no barking”, and go back to the room without closing his crate in case he needs to go potty on his pads. He will go back to his crate, sleep or chill for another 30 mins, then start barking again and/or scratching at our door until i come out. When i come out, he will run back to his crate. This repeats until my alarm goes off. Even if I do not come out at all, he will either scratch and bark incessantly for hours until I have to start my morning or he will do it in cycles similarly to what I mentioned previously.

Has anyone had any similar experiences and what would you suggest I do? My assumption is that he just gets lonely after a night on his own, but this is getting a bit out of hand as there has been little progress.

Our ideal situation is where he sleeps in the living room alone with or without his crate closed as long as he doesn't bark or scratch at the door in the mornings. Letting him in our room is not an option as he will only continue to bark or scratch at our bed to be closer to us and is not satisfied unless he is sleeping in our bed with us. Sleeping in our bed with us is not an option as my boyfriend is a very light sleeper and my pug snores very loud and moves a lot in his sleep.

TLDR:

My dog sleeps in the living room crated. (Pees/poops before bed) Incessantly barks at 5-7am every morning (no matter what time we sleep, even if we sleep at 2-3am) or scratches at my door, sometimes right before bed as well. We've tried waiting it out and other things listed in the post, nothing works. How to fix?

@boatjourney When he comes out of his crate he doesn't pee. He is trained to go potty on pads indoors in the case we aren't able to take him outside. This is almost guaranteed purely attention seeking.

Also as I mentioned, it doesn't always happen at 7am. It happens sometimes directly after we get ready to sleep and also throughout the night randomly.

I'm getting downvoted but how can it make sense that he needs to pee if we take him out to pee/poop before bed and he fully empties himself and then he starts barking at 3 am but hasnt eaten or drank anything for 4+ hours

Back