My dog (5F)is getting into certain (feminine) things and I don’t know how to help her

rai1234

Hi fellow dog lovers and owners I have a dilemma of sorts and this is a bit weird for me so I need some advice.

I (19F) have two loving pups: L(6y/o female, Pit) and Z(5y/o female, Aussie Shepherd) this mainly pertains to Z.

As of this year I’ve noticed that Z has a tendency to get into specific things. Somedays she’ll go through the trash in the bathroom to get my used sanitary napkins and as of recently she’s been going through sheets and now my bag to get my used underwear. Today is one of those days.

Earlier this afternoon I set out to go handle some business and run some errands my S/O. On my way out I made sure that everything was done: let them out to handle their puppy-business, gave them treats, made sure all of their water was full, put away my things and gave them goodbye pets.

When putting away my things I made sure to put my pajamas in a specific bag I keep upstairs near my futon. I purposely hid my underwear inside of my pajamas and zipped my bag up thinking this would work out and maybe I’d come back good underpants.

I was sorely mistaken; Upon coming back home I find my underwear on the floor in my bag open my clothes are untouched just my underwear out of the bag and ripped. I go into the bathroom and find that she’s went into the trash again leaving a ripped up sanitary napkin.

I play with them a lot, I give them plenty of treats, they’re fed 2 to 3 times a day and they always have water! Reddit please help! I don’t know what to do, how to help her or how to help me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

ETA: This is a recent problem. I cannot close the bathroom door since (A)we’ve set up one of their water bowls in there and (B) we’ve trained them to get into the tub when they hear certain things since the city We live in isn’t the safest. Also I don’t have an opinion for a closet since I live with my dad and sleep in the living room (I only use my room as storage since I can never get rid of the spiders and I’ve been bitten 3 times. One of those times was so bad I almost lost my foot so, no thanks!)

@rai1234 Close the bathroom door, and put the bag in a closet?

We used to come home to trash (papers and used tissues) on the floor in the computer room. The dog had a thing for tissues...she would spread them over the house and shred them. For the past 4 years, we've closed the door to the computer room, and bathroom, when we go out. No trash around the house.

@thorn610 She’s learned how to open the bins with lids(my dad trained her this for his laziness) so I’ve recently gotten the bins with manual lids

@rai1234 Can you just close the bathroom and bedroom doors when you’re not watching her so she can’t get into these things? These are self rewarding behaviors. If she can’t get to the stuff, she can’t get into it and get rewarded for it.

@thewingsoftruth As I said I don’t live in a safe area, this is what we trained our dogs a certain way. The bathroom is in the very center of the house and thrown we used in the event of emergencies (gunshots, tornadoes and floods)

@thewingsoftruth And that’s perfectly understandable! I don’t fault you for not knowing this and if I had the choice to live somewhere else I would. This is sadly the case, we made due with what we had when we rescued them. It comes with be poor, in school and living in Detroit

@rai1234 Management, get a trash can with a lock on it and close your bathroom door. My dog is mostly proofed in my house but knows how to open my trash can I just weight down the lid and he can’t open it anymore.

With your laundry put it on a the top shelf of your closet. For many months my closet was a no go area for my dog. All my clothes stayed in there and the door stayed closed with a chair blocking the knob until he became more neutral and ignored my clothes.

@rai1234 Your underwear and feminine items just smell good, no way around it. have you tried trash cans that close and just blocking off your bedroom when you're gone? Or you could have a specific room your dog is left in while you're gone. Trash cans that close go a long way though, they're a must in our house.