My dog (4 y.o. black lab, F spayed) and my parents' dog (3 y.o. pit bull/english bulldog, F unaltered) get along now

serendipitous

Their first introduction didn't go very well, there was some growling and what we thought was an a attack-like lunge, neither was injured but we immediately separated them and kept them apart for three days, when they accidently met when one pushed a door open, and just sniffed each other. I'm wondering if what happened in their original meeting could've been excitement rather than aggression, or if we interpreted it correctly and simply being exposed to each other smells but unable to see each other changed their minds.

They were quickly separated again for two more days just to be safe, and apparently reintroduce when I wasn't there (I probably wouldn't have okay'd it yet). They're both calmly chilling together on the bed now, wagging their tails and very gently playing. They're being watched closely and if there's any sign of disagreement they'll be put in different rooms again, but it's been a couple hours and they're doing fine.

I don't know how they worked it out but neither seems to want to hurt the other anymore. I figured one or both would need training to get past it, but it looks like they became friends on their own.