My anxious dog has become aggressive

keepwatch

I need some advice, I’m in a precarious situation.
I have a beautiful American Mastiff x Rhodesian nearly 4 yr old boy. He is around 35kg. He was a rescue pup we acquired just as Covid lockdowns hit. He has always been anxious; he didn’t from a place of security, but with my immediate family he’s always been loving and gentle. He’s also incredibly smart. In the last 18 months we’ve put him on fluoxetine, which we have the ability to still increase the dose, and with trazadone for stressful events.
I recently had to move out of our rental, and myself and my kids are sleeping on couches, as I’m trying to find work to get a new home. I’m staying with my friend, but my dog really didn’t like my friend’s father. My dog continually barked at him and lunged towards him; thankfully we had him in his full chest harness. This is really unusual for my dog, as while he has anxiety, the most he does is bark, but he backs away from a new person who approaches him.
I understand my dog is in a completely different environment, with new smells and sounds coming from upstairs, but I’m scared he may hurt someone unintentionally. We’ve asked my friend’s father to not come into the area of the house where we are, but I’m worried about a negative outcome.
My dog is really loving and has a beautiful nature, once he knows you. I’ve reached out to a local dog trainer, I’m hoping they can help.
If anyone has any advice on how to handle this situation, it would be helpful. I’ve also posted in r/dogs.

@keepwatch I’m going to be brutally honest with you.

You are homeless and couch surfing with your 3 children. You do NOT belong paying the expense to feed, care for, and medicating a large aggressive dog.

You need to contact your local humane society and explain your situation and surrender your dog. Considering you’re homeless, your human children need your undivided attention and expenses.

I’m sorry but this situation is only going to get more difficult for you. Your rental options will get slimmer and slimmer with a large breed aggressive dog and your children deserve more security then that. The dog will be a barrier to you finding housing and sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

@keepwatch I suggest keeping them separate as you obviously have already realized, and begin muzzle training so that when the dog trainer becomes involved you’re one step closer to being able to work on having the dog and your friends father together safely. Make sure you get a basket muzzle with plenty of panting room and ability to give treats so it can really be a part of the training process- my favorite are Leerbug.

@keepwatch This is not your home. You are outrageous to expect them to make extra accommodations for you and your large, aggressive dog. If they want to have their own father over, your dog needs to put in a room / crate, not the other way around. It doesn’t sound like you have the right situation to properly care for a large, aggressive and dangerous dog.

@bruyas Thank you, this post really irritates me. The responses to it make me borderline angry, this dog needs to go to a competent owner. This person is literally homeless and we all know how difficult it is to find rentals that accept dogs. This situation is so unfair to everyone. OP should be spending money on deposits for housing and their children, not a dog trainer.

@keepwatch Its prob not helping that it doesn’t have a space to call home any dog would be anxious in a unfamiliar home where his space is limited. Hope you get back on your feet those kids and dog deserve a stable home.

@keepwatch maybe he has had a bad history with older males. One of mine hates tradesman, especially in fluoro.

Positive reinforcement, if they have to be in the same room, have him give high value treats. He can throw them from afar and as he gets more comfortable, you move close a little. Make sure there is no eye contact and stay low, such as sitting or squatting, etc. Definitely seek a trainers advice, though, because I am not one.

my girl is fine with fluoro now. But it takes a lot of patience and time.

@keepwatch Good news is I am convinced a local trainer will be able to help mountain loads. I agree with what another commenter said, if he isn't neutered that is important to do. So also you are going to want to do what you did: keep a negative situation from happening by mitigating any unprepared for contact with the friend's Dad. He shouldn't be coming into the living space at all. Please keep in mind too this could be a weird freak thing. He's a rescue, and rescues sometimes have an intense issue with certain random things (facial hair, hats, uniforms, women with a lot of eye make up, a certain smell like cigarettes, etc.) We can't know what he went through before hand, but what if someone that used to wear Old Spice or drink Johnny Walker used to abuse him or the children in his household? It would make sense that he might be really concerned and protect of someone with the same attributes of course.

Can he safely meet the Dad outside of the living space? Start with the Dad tossing treats, when he's okay with it let the Dad get closer and toss/give treats and just continue until it's a giving situation. Eventually he will get that the Dad is there to be nice and give treats.

This is where I think we made a mistake - we invited my friend’s dad into where we are staying in the house. I also had had the thought that my friend’s dad is also taking chemo medications at this time, maybe my dog picked up on it?

@keepwatch Your friend should be able to invite whoever they want to their own home. It’s insane to me that you think your dog takes priority over your friends father with cancer.

This is not your home, if your friend wants to have their own father over put the dog in another room and shut the door.

No one should be making accommodations for you , you are a guest there and need to handle your dog and housing situation. You honestly sound like a nightmare guest, asking for visitors restrictions when you already have 3 children and an aggressive dog.

Your friend should take a good hard look at this situation and ask you to leave.