My advice and reflections on being a single person raising a gigantic puppy in a small apartment during a pandemic

endspiel

Hello all,

My pup Summer is turning 1 soon, so I wanted to share some stuff I've learned and, in some cases, that I wish I had known when I first got him. Of course these are only my personal reflections, I am not a licensed trainer or animal care professional.

First some general puppy things. Summer is a lab mix, when I got him last May he was a 9 week old 19 lb potato. The rescue org estimated he'd be about 50 lbs fully grown. Now he's an 80+ lb monster and built like a defensive end.

Here are the biggest things I've learned:

1. Puppies are expensive as hell! You probably plan for a bunch of expenses (vet bills, food, toys, treats). But there's so much more you might not have planned for, such as:
  • Training ($100+/session, even remote)
  • Pee pads ($25/box, I probably went through 20 boxes because I have no yard)
  • Various chews (bones/bully sticks/antlers)
  • Replacement crate, harnesses, and collars that he outgrew
  • Cleaning supplies...so many cleaning supplies
  • Chewed furniture legs (ugh) and random crap he broke like dishes and houseplants
2. Get pet insurance. If you have a puppy and don't have pet insurance: stop reading this, open a new tab, and sign up for pet insurance. I use Healthy Paws but I'd recommend any one with no annual max. I had to take Summer to the emergency hospital because he had a bowel obstruction. The surgery to remove it would have cost $7,500. Fortunately he pooped out the obstruction (a latex glove, no idea when he ate it) as they were prepping him, so the bill was $1,300. Pet insurance covered $800.

3. You won't sleep a lot for a while. Summer started sleeping through the night (meaning 4-5 consecutive hours) after about a month, but he still wakes me up at 6am on the dot every day no matter what. Went to bed late? Fuck you, feed me. Hungover? Fuck you, feed me. Got a cold? Fuck you, feed me. It's 21 degrees outside and snowing sideways? Fuck you, feed me and let's go play in the snow. Fortunately I have not gotten Covid (that I know of) so I've been able to adhere to his schedule.

4. Training takes time and patience and you'll get frustrated a lot. Those videos from Zak George and whoever else are great for teaching the methods, but they are not the slightest bit realistic. Your puppy will not learn a command after 4 minutes. He/she won't understand your cues on the third try. It'll take days, weeks, maybe months. And then they'll hit adolescence around 6-7 months and you'll have to start from scratch. I got a training app, I would recommend it if you can afford it because training is super expensive. I've found it helpful just to have someone to get personalized advice from.

5. Give your puppy the right amount of exercise. I've been working from home and live in a small 1br apartment and was always worried I wouldn't have enough space for a dog. We go on a long walk or to the park in the morning and a long walk in the evening, but between 10am - 5pm he sleeps. He's always there for a cuddle if I want a break, and he's down for a quick mid-afternoon walk, but tiring him out so he doesn't get midday zoomies has saved my sanity. Especially when they're really young, make sure you don't over tire them because it paradoxically makes them even more excited.

6. Dogs are unpredictable, but dog owners can be even more unpredictable. Especially if you have a big dog, be careful with your dog around others. It's not fair, but big dogs are held to a higher standard of behavior than small ones. I had an incident at the park during off leash hours where another dog ran up to Summer as we were playing fetch and Summer snapped at the other dog to back off. He didn't hurt her, he didn't even make contact, but the other owner freaked out, ran up, and kicked the shit out of Summer multiple times. Summer didn't even notice and just smiled stupidly as I yelled my head off at the lady (and she yelled back, because apparently the largest park in Brooklyn belongs only to her and her dog). Everyone is protective, but not everyone is understanding.

7. Young puppies eat anything and everything off the sidewalk. This is normal, and it is disgusting, especially if you live in the city. Those first few months were quite the adventure. Some choice things Summer ate off the sidewalk or that I pried out of his face hole:
  • Cigarettes
  • 10 billion chicken bones
  • Dead mice/rats/birds
  • A used(?) condom
  • A used(!) tampon
  • A used diaper (seriously wtf people)
  • Various animal excrement, especially horse and goose poop
  • Chocolate cake
  • Plastic gloves
  • Countless masks
8. Some rapid fire things:
  • Buy a lot of crappy towels from Target. You will use them.
  • Enforced naps and mandatory crate time are your friends. Train a "go to your crate" command. Every time he went in the crate, either willingly or when I had to pick him up and stuff him in, I said "kennel" and gave him a treat. It was the first command he mastered and he loves his crate.
  • Your puppy will cock block you. Oh sure, it's cute when they get jealous of you cuddling with another human, but that shit gets old after 30 seconds. Daddy needs his adult time with his lady friend. Nothing kills the mood faster than a puppy whining loudly from his crate in the next room.
  • Get your dog used to being touched all over. It makes grooming easier, as well as putting stuff like boots or a raincoat on him.
  • Get your dog used to loud noises. Summer grew up when there were nonstop sirens/helicopters/fireworks/protests last summer, so nothing fazes him. But as soon as there's a siren or loud bang outside (happens 5x a day), all the other dogs in my building start barking.
  • Walking your dog in the rain sucks. Cleaning a diarrhea stain out of the carpet because you dawdled hoping the rain would slow down sucks so much more.
Most importantly, it is completely and totally worth it. I've lost my temper at Summer more times than I can count; I broke down crying and felt completely overwhelmed several times during the first month; my arms and legs were scratched and bleeding for about 8 weeks due to his incessant biting; I've had to walk him in driving snow, 34 degree rain, 105 degree heat, and everything in between; I've cleaned poop out of every surface of two different apartments.

And I would do it all again. I love him more than anything. He's my best friend and he's the best dog in the world.

Edit: a few additional points since they've come up a bunch in the comments:
  • I use GoodPup as the training app. It's $30/week, I'm happy to refer anyone.
  • Summer gets approximately 90 mins to 2 hours of walks on weekdays. We've settled into about 45-90 mins in the morning (depending if I meet a friend or not), and 45-60 minutes in the evenings. He gets walks no matter the weather because he loves bad weather and I've just learned to deal with it.
  • I never really had an enclosed pen because he was too big and my apartment was too small, but I used a pen gate as a room divider til he was about 4 months. I moved apartments in July and the new apartment just isn't set up for it, so he's had free roam of the apartment since then.

@endspiel I’m so glad someone else has mentioned the cockblocking thing 😂, I’ve lost so many opportunities connecting (Romantically or friendship wise) with people at dog parks/walks/events because my puppy wants to act a fool. The ONE time I met a hot, super nice, single guy at the dog park with two beautiful Boston terriers my pup decided that he didn’t like his male Boston 🤦🏻‍♀️ That was the first and only time my dog didn’t get along with another dog, I was so peeved, but we left because my puppy was obviously not having a good time and acting irregular. Fast forward an hour later after a walk, I decided to give the dog park another shot and it works out perfectly, ironically with another Boston and a mini Aussie. The only friend we’ve made so far is an elderly lady and her massive Rottweiler mix, haha.

@deojames A woman I was talking to suggested we go on a walking date with her dogs. I warned her that Summer is a puppy and gets jumpy and is unpredictable, she said that's fine, her dog loves other dogs. Uhhh turns out that's not the case, and she didn't mention that her dog had joint issues. So she wanted nothing to do with Summer. So yeah, not the best date I've been on. Now I'm screening dates for dogs and their temperament with excitable pups lol.

@endspiel Omg same lol. As if finding someone great to date in the city wasn’t hard enough! My pup looooves other dogs and humans but is a pup so the other dog has to be chill w mine wanting to play constantly and...people overestimate their dogs’ socialness

@deojames my marzipan (rest in peace little baby) wasn’t really a big fan of men, overall. i had just started seeing this guy, maybe a couple of weeks in, Marzipan was about 7 months old or so. we went out for a couple of drinks, came back and we were going to get up and go for a hike in the morning with her, so he spent the night. she slept on my bed at this point, so we all settled in. about 2am he gets a little frisky, she’s all the way at the foot of the bed and my sleepy brain isn’t really thinking about that because she’s so quiet and doesn’t make a peep. fast forward to him coming right up on his finish line, and out of nowhere, so perfectly timed, Marzipan just threw up all over his feet.

he was so angry, i couldn’t stop laughing, and she was immensely pleased with herself. we didn’t go hiking and the relationship failed to go further.

the guy i’m with now, 2.5 years now, she immediately snuggled up against him and in her way proclaimed him the one.

@emnonymous In all seriousness, if my puppy doesn't like you or you can't handle my puppy being a puppy, it's an immediate deal breaker. God willing, my puppy is in my life for the next ~15 years, and you just won't be.

A woman that I matched/was chatting with on Tinder said she was allergic to dogs, and I was like oh sorry it won't work out then. She was incredulous, like you'd actually pick your dog over a potential romantic partner? Bitch yes of course I would, I haven't even met you and my dog is the most important thing in my life!

@endspiel I am so glad to hear someone other than myself say this. Almost a full month ago now I adopted my own puppy and am beyond excited to have her in my life. She had parvo, which means the first 4 months of life she was quarantined at the shelter and had no training. That means that I now have a relatively large sized teenage puppy with the training of a 9-week old puppy.

Last week I went on a date with a dude that said he "loves dogs". We literally went to a bar that allows dogs and he definitely knew that I had only had my pup for a few weeks. She kept jumping up on him after running through mud/digging and he ended up getting SO mad that my puppy was ruining his pants. I ended that date early and asked him to delete my number because there is no way I would even consider wasting time on someone that doesn't love my pup (and vice versa).

@endspiel 100% I couldn't date someone who didn't like or was allergic to dogs either. It drives me crazy how some people think being in any relationship is only thing that matters!

@deojames Our puppy even tries to cockblock my husband and I 😂. He cries whenever he figures out there is any cuddling going on without him. If we don’t put him in the crate he puts his paws up on the bed next to us and starts crying to let us know how displeased he is with us.

Nothing ruins the mood like a little paw on your foot from a crying puppy 😒

@imagebeastmarkbeast Our little guy has a sixth sense or something. Will go into his crate happy and start screaming the place down as soon as we start getting intimate... then if we stop he is completely quiet and content...
Nothing kills the mood like a soundtrack of yelps, howls and barking...

@solomon1978 I use GoodPup. A friend referred me (happy to refer you for a free week). I've only been using it for 6 weeks, before that I was learning from a combo of articles and Youtube videos.

Back