My 6 year old dog is being weird

crfstewarje

I had my 6 year old dog, Bruno, for 5 years when I lived with my parents and then a year ago me and Bruno moved in with my boyfriend. We brought a puppy, max, home a few months ago and though there were some incidents that Bruno growled and max, they would play. About 2 months in to having max, Bruno stopped having any interest in playing with max and seems so down! Has anyone ever dealt with this?

@crfstewarje Bruno might need a little extra you time. Jealousy can make a dog very depressed. I know my previous boy would pretty much crawl off and weep if I so much as touched another dog - he was a great big ox of a thing, but they are all sensitive. If you are noticing other changes in Bruno's behaviour as well, it might be more than too much puppy energy or sad jealousy - it might be time for a health check.

He does have allergies that have been acting up. I try to show him all the attention I can he’s my baby I literally say I birthed him lol the puppy just takes a lot of our time right now with training

@crfstewarje That can be normal. A lot of times one of my dogs is not interested in the new puppy. And that is okay, I get new dogs for me, not for my other dogs. Puppies age the older dog and I can tell that every time I have gotten a new puppy. They are a lot of commotion, they take up more of my time.

I have found that doing outings with the older dog is beneficial to them. They get a break from being around the puppy and you can 100% focus on them and have fun.