My 6 month old GSD can hold his pee 4-5 hrs in the crate while I’m at work, but has accidents in the house when I’m home and he’s out

dhawk1

I let him out in the morning then four hours later on my lunch break and again after work. He’s in the crate for four hours between bathroom breaks and is fine in the crate. When he’s not in the crate, I would take him out every time he whined at the door. Come to find out, he didn’t need to go, he just wanted to chase his tail outside. He whines to be let out within 30 mins after I just let him out. I ignore it because he just went, then we have an accident. He whines within 30 mins after I just let him out, I take him out, he chases his tail and digs holes in the yard. Am I doing something wrong? I don’t want to crate him all the time especially when I’m home with him, but I’m tired of false alarms just to go play as well as accidents in the house.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

@dhawk1 It takes a lot for a dog to have an accident in their crate. You know he can hold it, you just have to figure out why he’s not.

We had to reward ours when he went outside with treats and praise. We also got bells for the back door, it worked but now he rings the bells every time he wants to go outside even just to play but he hasn’t gone in the house for about two months.

@sweetsunshine I know dogs aren’t supposed to be vindictive like cats, but sometimes I think he does it just to be vindictive. All the accidents (except one) happen on our tile, vinyl, easy to clean surfaces (kitchen, bathroom, foyer) even though we spend most of our time on carpet (living room, bedroom). Also, he’ll go without warning... less than an hour after taking him out, he’ll follow me from the living room to the kitchen then just piss on the floor. It’s so frustrating!!

@dhawk1 They never want to go in their "space." The fact that he does it in places you don't hang out in much probably just means he's not used to it being part of his home just yet. Ours did the same thing for a while, it was always at the end of the hall or in the kitchen. Hang in there, he'll figure it out soon enough!

@dhawk1 It is very frustrating. With ours it wasn’t vindictive but it certainly seemed like it was I just think he didn’t get i that he wasn’t supposed to go into the house. It took a while but he seems to get it.

@dhawk1 If he goes inside and you can grab him before he's finished or almost instantly after, pick him up and run him outside. You can praise a little bit if he goes outside after you run him out. And as soon as he is done or if he doesn't go anymore after you set him down outside pick him up and go right back inside. This is to let him know that some trips are just for potty and some are for walks, playing, etc. Also, start saying whatever word you want to associate it with. We used to run ours out and as soon as she finished outside we say "yes good potty!" And go right back in. Have only had 1 accident, which was our fault, in about a year.

In my experience they aren't being vindictive. They are just goons and make weird decisions. They truly do want to please so long as you have a good relationship.