Mini Schnauzer Fur Issues: Hot climate? Exposure to the sun?

davidnoich

We live in the Mediterranean region with a 1 year old black-coated Mini Schnauzer (born in June 2012) .

1) I read and heard that their fur is supposed to shed (not really shed but become loose and ready for picking whatchacallit) around 6 months or in the autumn. However, he's 1 y.o. now and we never saw any signs of the dog being ready for his grooming. We only trim him at a groomer's once in 2 months, and that is supposed to be bad for the coat. The groomer says it 's mainly attributed to the hot climate, i.e. no stimulus for shedding and growing a wiry coat. Is this true or is there something wrong with the dog?

2) His fur is turning brownish, especially the beard, on his paws and tummy (see pictures). I walk him twice a day, and wash his paws and beard after the walks, sometimes using shampoo. I wash him weekly with a Bio-Groom shampoo for black-haired dogs. We\ve been to the vet, and the tests showed no yeast infection. What do I do to correct that?

3) What kind of hairbrush is recommended for brushing and grooming? I'm asking just in case I was doing something wrong.

EDIT: formatting, spelling

@davidnoich Speaking with your breeder could help you a lot.

Clipping with clippers interrupts the natural hair growth cycles that are part of stripping (plucking) the dogs coat by hand. If you continue clipping the dog the harsh outer coat will cease to grow and his coat will be almost entirely softer undercoat.
There is nothing really wrong with this- clippering is easier and it is much easier to find a good groomer who can clip than it is to find someone well versed in hand stripping. Most pet owners choose clipping- it is cheaper and can be done any time- you don't have to wait for a dog's coat to reach a certain stage.

Of course if you want a hand stripped dog there is nothing wrong with that either- it is better looking, more "correct" coat (as per show standards) but because of the difficulty finding people to do it and the cost (it is a very time intensive process and will cost at least twice as much) most pet owners opt for clipping and leave hand stripping for show dogs.

If you want a hand stripped dog you have to stop clipping for as long as it takes for the coat to resume it's natural growth cycles- if it does at all. Some damaged coats never recover.
This is why I encourage you to contact your breeder- they know their dogs coats best.

Hot weather has zero influence on coat and shedding cycles. This is determined by the amount of light in a day- longer days in the summer trigger shedding.

The red on the coat is normal- it is caused by oxidation, usually from exposure to the sun. To slow it use a coat dressing with sunblock and keep the dog out of the sun.

Saliva will also oxidize coat, so if the dog is licking anywhere at all he must be prevented from doing so. Urine stains turn red as well. Substances (shampoos, flea sprays, etc) that dry out the coat can cause excessive oxidation, too.

Now- both poor coats and excessive oxidation can be seen in many pet quality dogs whose breeders did not actively select for better coats or deep black colors. This does not make your puppy bad- it just means they are not of the quality necessary to compete in dog shows. It is still a fine pet.

The best way to ensure that you have a dog that stays black is to make sure the parents (and grandparents etc.) maintained a good, strong black throughout their lives. Choosing a breeder that selects for these qualities is necessary if color is important to you.

Qualifications- Certified Master Groomer.

Back