Mini Poodle vs Havanese x Shih tzu?

darkkent177

I (26F) and my fiance (26m) are looking at adopting an older puppy. There are two available that we're interested in and will be meeting, but we can't decide which breed(s) would be best for us. Both dogs are male and 7 months old and are being rehomed. As far as we are aware they are both healthy, have no current behaviour concerns, and have some basic training (sit, housetraining, etc.).

I have done research into each of these breeds but can't decide which would be best for our lifestyle. We will be meeting both and ultimately deciding based on which personality fits best with us, but I would like to make an informed decision.

More about us:
- live in a townhouse with a small patio/yard
- work full time but if the dog is well behaved could take it to work with us
- okay with daily coat maintenance
- looking for a medium energy dog (up to 2x 30min walks per day plus playing inside)
- easyish to train basic skills
- must be generally friendly with no resource guarding, aggression, etc.
- want a dog who will cuddle and play with us but is also able to be independent when we have to leave it alone

We both had dogs during our childhoods (he had a Havanese, I had a Shih-tzu), but not since. I have some experience with helping train service dogs, so am somewhat confident in my training ability for intelligent/bidable dogs.

Which do you think would work best for our lifestyle? I know poodles are generally higher energy and more intelligent, but Havanese and Shih- tzus are generally friendly and happy to just hang out with you (from my experience anyway).

@darkkent177 I meant to use that as your point of which to choose.

Boy-dogs often have a leg-lifting hang-up. If it were me in your shoes I'd pick the dog that took the fastest to housebreaking training.