Might be a silly question, but our county has a boil water notice in place for possible e-coli. Anyone know if this applies to my doggo's water too?

@tudorgothicserpent When my county was under a boil water notice it said to do so for pets as well. Not sure if it depends on the particular contaminant of interest or not but just to be safe, I would definitely do so.

@tudorgothicserpent They usually test for coliform bacteria contamination, which serve as a marker for some more pathogenic microbes that are not as easily cultured. This is why you should always include the water for pets when under water boiling measures. You may not know exactly what the contaminant is, and whatever it is could make your pet severely ill. I'm an infectious disease epidemiologist, in case you are wondering where this info is coming from.

@markusaurelius131 Thanks. County website said it was E.coli/Fecal coliform bacteria that was detected. Just asked because dogs eat their own stuff etc and have iron stomachs usually. But going to stick to bottled water for now for them.

@tudorgothicserpent E. coli generally isn't as bad for dogs as it is for humans, it can cause diarrhea in dogs and is linked to a disease called granulomatous colitis that is classically found in Boxer dogs.

So it isn't as big of a concern but no one wants a dog with diarrhea so yes, boil the doggy water.

@imagebeastmarkbeast E. Coli is zoonotic. Even if it isn't as harsh on a dog as it is a human, the dog could easily infect humans they come in contact with. Not only that, but shared spaces, like a couch, are then also contaminated.

Back