Looking for suggestions - switching from puppy to adult food

streaming1

Hi, I’m looking to switch my dog from puppy food to adult food and am a little overwhelmed with the options so I was hoping for some suggestions.

She’s a 25lb 2yo corgi that is semi-active and slightly overweight (she should be closer to 20lb). She’s been on Purina Pro Plan Puppy Sensitive Skin & Stomach Lamb & Oatmeal Dry since I got her as a puppy. My best friend's dog is related to mine and she has had skin allergies/digestion issues but did really well on this formula so I went with this just in case it was hereditary. (also because we’re frequently at each others houses so having the same food made it easier for dog sitting, etc)

She’s been getting 1 cup total per day for a little over a year but I noticed she started putting more weight on in the last 6 months with very little change in activity and treats/chews. She also turned 2 end of April so I wanted to start transitioning her from puppy food anyway. A month ago, I started tapering her down to ¾ cup total per day to help with her weight until I find a different formula.

I started to switch her to the adult version of the same food but noticed that, even though protein and fat were lower, there were more calories/cup for the adult food than the puppy at 508 kcal/cup vs 428 kcal/cup. The kibble is also much larger which was a little disappointing since the small kibble was perfect for training and fit her slow feeder bowl/toys much better.

I want to keep her on Pro Plan but don’t feel like I know enough to evaluate the different options they have like kibble versus the shredded blend or the different protein sources. Ideally, I’d like the smaller kibble but it’s not a deal breaker by any means. She also wouldn’t necessarily need to stay on a sensitive formula protein like lamb since she hasn’t had any issues with skin/digestion and gets treats with other protein sources no problem.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Back