Looking for Good Long Board & Train Recs in the U.S

emma456

Hi--throwaway account here, but long time lurker!

I am looking for a trainer who would be open to a longer board & train (~6 wks or more) for my people-loving small breed 2yo dog to get her to crisp obedience on- and off-leash as I hoping to get her hospital therapy dog certified (eventually), as I am a retiree and would love to bring her into my world. That said, as a retiree, I'm looking for a budget-friendly board & train option, which I recognize will be hard to find for this ask, but I am open to traveling to wherever you are in the U.S. if you're willing to truly help.

I'd imagine someone willing to be generous with their time/rates or looking to fill a last-minute gap in their schedule or someone who has been very successful with this sort of training but happens to do it on the side or for their personal/friends/family dogs might be the right person to consider my request.

Bit of background/context, I've done group classes with my dog previously and she knows a number of the basic obedience commands on-leash (with treats), and intermittently follows them in the home without treats. But there is a lot of room for improvement. I am comfortable with balanced training, but wouldn't want someone who only relies on an e-collar all time. Instead, I'd want balance with praise/treats so that she can eventually be "weened" off the collar at least to a degree that it's not a 'required' thing every time we leave the house.

I am dedicated to continue the training at home, but I am hoping to find this sort of help to get her to a strong place to hone/maintain from.

Please DM/chat me if you're willing to help here or if you can share any recommendations of fitting trainers that you may have in mind. Happy to discuss more when we connect directly. Many many thanks in advance for considering!

@imagebeastmarkbeast Was going to say the same thing. Board and train may be good for getting the dog to learn everything, but then you have to essentially do all the training again with the human. Might as well do it all together.

@cr0011 Thanks, both--I fully agree that (and am committed to) lifelong ongoing-/re- training with the me will be critical to any true durability and longevity of training; however, I was hoping to find someone with more knowledge and experience to help effectively jump start and get my dog to a better level as well as share that guidance subsequently so that I can effectively continue their great work.

@emma456
I hoping to get her hospital therapy dog certified (eventually)

FWIW I don't think any therapy organizations allow dogs off leash while doing visits. And they don't allow prong collars or E collars. So a dog being good off leash has nothing to do with visiting facilities.

And you need to be certified. I wouldn't enter a facility with a dog, if the facility did not insist on seeing the dog's paperwork. The reason for that is people like to sue. And some people hate dogs. An organization that has certified your dog is also insuring the team.

Finally, I don't know why you'd use a board and train for this: your dog should be able to pass a CGC test, as well as be able to ignore food on the ground, and medical equipment (wheelchairs, walkers) and be able to handle crowds of screaming people who may not be great at walking (replicates a day room in a memory facility). That's not things that a board and train will help your dog learn.

I'd find a training facility near you that has CGC prep courses, do one with your dog, and see where you are. And I'd ask around at local places, as far as who is doing certifying in your area. The person who is will also have facility contacts, so that you can eventually start visiting places, and seeing how your dog does.

He should be neutral around other dogs (very, very important), and actually like strange humans, not just be able to tolerate them. I've known dogs who did therapy visits, mostly so their human could say they did them. The dog should genuinely like meeting people, including ones who don't always behave.

@emma456 Check out KoruK9.Com

I’ve worked with some of their trainers in the Seattle area, and think highly of them. They do board and trains, and dog boarding as well.

@aveotheotokos That’s ideal. While I intend to keep the training up, it’s always good to have access to the original trainer/team if I have questions or run into any obstacles.

Back