Looking for any advice

alexis001

We were just give a French bulldog, we are fairly certain she came from a puppy mill. She very much wants to stay in her crate all the time, we are coaxing her out and she has been exploring on her own with positive reinforcement when she is out. The actual problem is she seems to be either threatened by our other dog (who is around same age and size and is fixed so he isn't trying any hanky panky) or resource guarding her food bowl from him. She hasn't growled or snapped at anyone else in the house and it has only been a few days, but I don't want this to get out of hand. I want our already well adjusted dog to stay happy and not feel like he is doing anything wrong and I also want this new girl to become comfortable and not worry about being used or hurt anymore. Any tips, advise, or anything really to make this transition for all of us easy is very much appreciated.

@alexis001 Here is a link to an old chart on it. It gives a general guide on how a new dog settles into a new environment. Since you just brought her into your house and she is in a totally new place with new people and new dogs and new this and new that it will probably take a little of extra care to help her realize this is her new great home.

https://new.reddit.com/r/DogAdvice/comments/o1zfyg/rule_of_3s/

Something I always try to do is give a new dog free reign in the house for a few hours while all the other dogs are put away. My thinking is this helps the new dog see where everything is, explore without being bothered, learn from scents where the other dogs lay at, and so on. You might try to make sure to put the other dogs away and open her crate for an extended period of time to encourage her to learn.