Looking for advice

athiesthere

Hello, i have a 1 year old german shepherd female (about to be 2 in June). I just so desperately need advice from this community. Last year in March, my friend moved to another state and I asked her to let me adopt the dog because i had been dogsitting her whenever she’d go to work and when she’d go out. I grew attached to her. My friend was considering taking her to a shelter because of her reactivity. I begged her not to and to let me adopt her instead. She’s been mine ever since. I am very grateful that i’m her dog owner and to have her by my side. I was handling her alright very happy with her until she was around 9 months where a group of elementary school kids came up to the window and started barking at her. Her reactivity has been severe ever since. There would be kids after that’ll start barking at her.

She will look at the window and bark if someone gets close enough. She is very reactive to people running, to kids, at times animals, strangers, smells of other people, loud noises. At times at cars with lights that park near the window. We very fortunately found a house but the problem is our lease ends by the end of the month and the house will take 2 or 3 months to finish repairing. i’m just stuck with not knowing what to do. I would’ve never wanted to give up on her. She’s my whole world and i love her more than anything it just hurts my heart to know that deep down i know i can’t give her what she needs or be the perfect dog owner for her. I cant stand the thought of taking her to a shelter and never knowing about her again. I just don’t know what to do. I’m not financially stable to afford a dog trainer and she is too reactive to almost everything to give her up for adoption to someone random. A unicorn home would be the most ideal. Please help i’m in need of advice, i so desperately plead.

@athiesthere If this is a temporary living situation you may be able to find a breed specific rescue who will take her temporarily. I think some SPCAs have the ability to do that as well.

@athiesthere Maybe you could agree with her previous owner for a temporary stay? Your dog knows your friend, and it will not be so stressful for your dog?

Maybe someone from your family has a space for her for this period of time?

You sound full of love for her, and I hope that your living situation will stabilise very soon.

@hugues I talked to her about it but she just started school and has other pets in the home. I’ve tried talking to my family if they know anyone willing to adopt her but it’s just very difficult given the fact that she is reactive but i will keep trying! thank you she really is my world 🥲 thank you for the support it means a bunch 🙏😊