light, low profile ecollar for working dog

sharbodie

I have a working line GSD and presently use the Educator. I use it between levels 25 to 50.

I'd like to buy a new e collar. Ideally, I'd like to achieve the following:
  1. reduce the size of the remote (the circular remote is bulky and annoying to carry around)
  2. have a hands free option (both e collar technologies and dogtra now offer this)
  3. reduce the size of the receiver (ideally it'd be less bulky)
  4. ensure I still have adequate power and range for my needs
Here are the models that I am considering and dimensions/weight I got from the respective CS teams:
  • Educator w/ finger
    • receiver: 2.3oz; 2.03x 1.56 x 1.33
    • price: $270 (but since I already have Educator receiver, it's just $155 for finger button + remote)
  • FE-560
    • receiver: 1.09oz; 2.12 x 1.73 x 0.99
    • remote: 1.7oz; 1.65 x 3 x .94
    • $240
  • FE-580
    • receiver: 2.8oz; 2.33 x 1.69 x 1.12
    • remote: 1.7oz; 1.65 x 3 x .94
    • $290
  • Arc/1900 handsfree
    • receiver: 4.1oz; 3.5 x 1.4 x 1.4
    • remote: 4.4oz; 3.8 x 1.8 x 1.2
I've essentially ruled out the Dogtra products given their weight + size. E collar technologies says that the 560 is roughly 20% weaker than the Educator and the 580 is roughly 20% stronger than the Educator. Weaker range of the 560/580 doesn't concern me since my dog is never more than 100-200 yards away from me.

Does anyone have experience with these models? I'm particularly interested in a review of the 580. I can't seem to find any online. Any factors I'm not considering?

@sharbodie The FOB looks so cool! I have a Mini educator and EZ 900. Both dogs have thick hair so I added the winged contact points. I prefer the shape of the EZ remote over the Mini. The collar has a slightly lower profile as well. The EZ in black could be pretty discreet. There’s a large group on Facebook called E collar training with lots of reviews/recommendations on different brands. Might be a good place to ask? Also, I feel you on not wanting to get questions about e-collar use when you’re out and about. People can be so weird. I often put a bandana on my dog to solve that problem. Then you can’t see it at all. I’ve had a few people (usually kids) ask and I just say it vibrates like a phone so she knows when I’m trying to get her attention. Hope you find something that works well for you!

Back