Let's talk sprays. Finishing, scissoring, drying, texturizing, etc

gifford26

What are your go-to's? I'm looking into some sprays and wondering what is the best out there to get. I know that's pretty subjective, but still doesn't hurt to ask. I currently use T.H.E. S.T.U.F.F for drying, but I've heard a couple people say it weighs the coat down.

So, what do you guys like for drying, scissoring, etc? I was shopping around and looked at Botaniqa Avocado Scissoring Spray and iGroom Magic Boost Spray, but I really have very little knowledge about sprays. I've only ever used Quicker Slicker and T.H.E. S.T.U.F.F

PS. I have very hard water in my area if that helps.

TIA!

@gifford26 I use iGroom magic spray for most things. Crown Royale for my poodles, CC Ice on Ice for long hair double coat breeds, Just Devine for fluff brushing. Everything is diluted as far as it will go.

@gifford26 I tried the Bio Silk detangler on a whim and it was actually really nice. You can spray a decent bit of it on a mat and it doesn’t leave any greasy residue.

Plus it’s so cheap, it’s a good experiment. I recommend it to customers who might not want to drop $40 on a fancy spray.

@cathya I use Biosilk for my Shih Tzu and it works well. It is actually the only detangler my spoiled girl allows me to use on her. I figured out it's the pump type bottle; she won't let me near her with a spray bottle.(I know some dog owners use a water spray bottle as a deterent, but I have never done so.)

@gifford26 I use either CC Ice on Ice spray before i blow dry or Best Shot ultra maxx finishing spray, both are great!! I love all the artero sprays. I use their anti static spray the most especially on drop coats/yorkies and the pink shiny coat spray for double coated dogs. I like igroom texture sprays. And Botaniqa love me long shae spray is SO GOOD it makes the coat so nice and is great for removing matts/tangles.

@gifford26 Over the years I've used Melanie Newman conditioning spray which is very light and nice for scissoring. My go to for drying is Pro Groom ProMagic and for dematting I can't go past Hydra dematting and conditioning spray.

@gifford26 One spray I’m surprised I’ve gotten a lot of use out of is Scissor Stuff Scissoring Spray (say that 5 times fast). At first I wasn’t a huge fan because it just didn’t feel light enough to use as a proper scissoring spray. However, the directions on the bottle recommend spraying it before blow drying the dog. It works beautifully when I use it for that; I feel like the coats just look so nice and fluffy and curly coats dry much straighter. I will absolutely be buying more when I’m out.

You can’t go wrong with the iGroom scissoring spray; I’ve yet to find one that works better.

I go back and forth between The Stuff and Quick Dry when using a drying spray. The Stuff can absolutely weigh a coat down but I’ve found that it never fails me as long as I don’t use too much of it on dogs with drop coats.

@gifford26 Lmao I was gonna make a post soon similar to this. Right now the sprays I have in my arsenal are Tropiclean Detangler, Nature's Specialties Quicker Slicker, Nature's Specialties Silk-N-Finish, and EZ Groom Ruff Out.

I mainly use Tropiclean during pre-work because it does make the coat soggy and take forever to dry. BUT it is truly a great detangler, especially for ears or tails that can be saved but need a little help. It also works well as the initial conditioner step for the "close open close" method, especially for dirty ears or beards. Which btw there isn't really such thing as opening or closing cuticles or pores. Really what you're doing is lubricating the dirt so it can be bound by the shampoo easier and rinsed away.

Quicker Slicker is my drying aid spray/post bath leave in conditioner.

I use Silk-N-Finish to make dark coats really shiny as a finishing touch or as a really heavy duty leave-in conditioner. A little bit goes a looooong way and you will make the coat mega greasy if you overuse. The hefty price tag will remind you to only use a little lol.

Idk how to use Ruff Out yet. It came in a sampler pack I bought from EZ Groom. I want to like the product but I really don't know what its purpose is. It just says it's a finishing/conditioning spray. I've been testing it as a post-bath brushing spray since as mentioned, Tropiclean can make the coat wet again and take forever to dry and I don't like using silicone based sprays like Quicker Slicker for actual brushing since I don't want to overspray silicone onto the coat.

I do want to try out a true scissoring spray some time. I'm flopping back and forth between Crown Royale Clip-Eze and iGroom Magic Boost Scissoring Spray.

@gifford26 Coat Handlsr anti-static detangler spray. It's kinda an all in one, but I use it as a scissor spray. I love it because it does its job well without any heavy ingredients. No silicones, lanolins, or additives that cause build up.

For dematting spray, I go for CC ice on ice. I have also liked Mats Happen by Jodi Murphy and Matx by Artero.

For finishing sprays, I really like Crown Royale Magic Touch formula 2. Best Shot Ultramax is pretty good, too, but I find it's easy to over-do (like one spray on a dripping wet dog is plenty).

I enjoy a good volumizing foam or mousse for limp coats. I've used the espree one and liked it alright. I keep a can of Super Foam by Biogroom on hand. It does have lanolin in it as an emollient, so it can cause buildup. I haven't had a problem with it, though, and it gives a nice finish.

@gifford26 I find the iGroom scissoring spray really gunky and everyone in the shop tells me it smells like an old man! The Botaniqa has a much more pleasant scent and lifts the hair more gently with less stickiness.

I use BestShot or Quicker Slicker as drying sprays with the goal of accelerating drying + making brush outs less painful.

Hydra spray is lovely on a dry coat and for spot detangling, like on tails and ears.

Back