Large Breed - What Food + Add-ins/Supplements?

james2206

So I have 2 large dogs, one is 95 lbs and 4 years old. The other is about 55 lbs but just a 7 month old puppy and is headed towards 100lbs as well.

I currently feed them:
Purina Pro Plan Large Breed
Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy

And then I add in sweet potato and/or Greek yogurt about half the time.

My question to you all is what, if anything, should I be adding to their diet?

I have looked at glucosamine and omega 3 supplements like fish oil, but I know that the food already includes SOME of each.

I am very price conscious. While not cheap, I’m not going to increase their meals $3 per meal per dog or anything. Stuff adds up quick! 😅

They do not have abnormally sensitive stomachs.

Please let me know what additional questions you may have! Thank you

@james2206 Joint supplements already have quite sketchy evidence behind them and really the only supplements with reasonable evidence are omega 3s for arthritis. "Joint support" just like "immune boosting" and "brain support" are just fad terms that really don't have any scientific weight or evidence. We don't know of any food besides a complete diet and adequate, not excessive, caloric content that makes your dogs joints super healthy. bones and joints just grow and sometimes develop disease. We don't even really know exactly why they develop disease all of the time. In fact, if you want to improve your dogs joints and bones probably the next best thing you can do after feed them the right amount of food is to exercise them correctly. Bones develop and grow according to physical stimuli and inputs. Food just provides the building blocks to do the cellular work that exercise instructs.

@james2206 If you’re worried about their joints, I would talk to your vet and see if they have any supplements they recommend!

I think Purina Pro is a great brand, and has the science to prove it! I wouldn’t change their diet as long as they’re doing good on it and your vet is happy!

@james2206 Talk to your vet, but there's no research to show the puppy will benefit from joint supplements being given during growth. I can even confirm that it doesn't prevent development of some issues as I did everything I could to help support my GSD's joints from the age of 10 weeks and she is currently rocking 2 metal hips.

For the older dog, while many foods have some level of things like omegas, glucosamine, etc, they're not there in therapeutic levels. Again, ask your vet before starting anything, but my girl's Ortho surgeon highly recommended Dasuquin.

@james2206 I feed that (adult) and the only joint supplement that our vet recommended to add was Antinol Rapid. Only that in particular because there's leagues of studies done to show efficacy. But that's likely studies done on dogs with joint inflammation already, not as a preventive. You can check their website for the studies. It helped my dog regain mobility after a bout of joint pain.

@james2206 I’ve been feeding PPP Large Puppy to my Rotten Shepherds and they’re thriving. I recently had to have bloodwork done due to one getting sick (Ate a toad, pretty sure). I actually had a Vet Tech ask me what I was feeding her as her results came back perfect.

I add Salmon oil to them, but that’s mainly due to one being picky and really liking salmon.

I’m planning to switch to Eukanuba large breed at two years, though that’s mainly due to how much they love it vs Pro Plan.

@james2206 When my last dog was suffering from arthritis my vet recommended a glucosamine supplement, Cosequin is what we used. Our new pup is a GSD so I want to start her on supplements early as well so I know exactly what you mean. For a price conscience approach, I would look into a supplement instead of a food additive. PPP itself is balanced with nutrients but extra glucosamine will not hurt in a supplement form. I would just make sure to purchase a reputable brand so its a good quality supplement. I am actually going to my vet today and will be asking about this exact topic. I'm happy to update with their recommendations.

@james2206 Try adding Cosequin, Fish Oil, Liver, and a little moringa to their diet. A vet recommended this for my 14 year old Australian Shepherd. It could no longer walk to make it outside for the bathroom. After about a month she was making it outside again and kept making it until she died at 16. I now give it to all my dogs. None of them have had a single issue or joint problem. Cosequin has been around a long time. It is tried, true, and highly recommended for large dogs.

Back