Kibble topper

jewelie148

I current have a 7 month old pitty X and he loves toppings on his kibble but I’m looking for other things that I can introduce him to other then what he already gets.

Breakfast - Kibble with about 10 - 15 blueberries, 4 tea spoons of unsweetened green yoghurt, fish oil and an egg with a little bit of water (my boy doesn’t seem to like to drink and when he does he sculls so I try and keep him hydrated with his meals)

Dinner - kibble with half a cucumber, half a carrot and a sardine also with water

Also on hot days I like to give him a frozen kong consisting of the yogurt and blueberries so any ideas would be great!

@jewelie148 I’d try some freeze dried toppers some if my favorite brands are bixbi (their rawbble line),Steve’s real food,vital essentials,Stella and chewys

I’d be careful adding in egg everyday it can block biotin after awhile but most people do eggs a couple times a week instead of everyday but I think if eggs are cooked you don’t have that problem? I’m not sure

I give my dog raw meat like beef and pork or lamb

But I’d follow the 80/20 rule it’s where you take away 20% of their calories and replace it with fresh foods you shouldn’t go above 20 because it can become unbalanced you wouldn’t need to do this with compete and balanced toppers though like freeze dried (make sure it says complete and balanced) you can change it how you want like 50/50 with kibble and freeze dried as long as it’s balanced

For more toppers I would suggest goats milk or bone broth I really like dehydrated ones as they are easy to store but you can totally get raw goats milk or make your own bone broth at home

Some brands that make dehydrated broths are
The native pet,the honest kitchen (they also make goats milk dehydrated),natures logic, natures diet

But their are liquid broths that you don’t need to store like In the fridge that you can find online for dogs

Other toppers could be chicken feet,chicken necks,beef liver (you can get this freeze dried or you can cook it yourself),OOOO I really like going into the baby food isle and finding fruits and vegetables and it’s great cause I think dogs get the nutrients better when it’s blended but I like to get butternaut squash,pumpkin (or you can get a big can),carrots (but I’d make sure the baby food has no added sugars and just says that one ingrident or whatever it says)

I’d also get some wet food it’s Always a hit with my dogs

Beef liver sprinkles are very popular

Also air dried food my favorite brand is the real meat company but other brands do air dried like ziwi peak or kiwi kitchens

@jewelie148 Canned wet dog food works great and adds moisture if your pup doesnt seem to drink a lot of water. You can slap a lid on the can and it will stay good in your fridge typically for 7 days. Pet-friendly broths(human grade stuff is usually too rich with sodium) also are great.

Theres also a lot of "just add water" freeze dried toppers out there to try which are usually great. Honest Kitchen. Nature's Variety. Merrick. Orijen makes some awesome freeze dried raw stuff that can act as a food as well as a topper.

Try em all and see what you think works best for options.

@jewelie148 Maybe don't do all those toppers at each feeding. Mix it up. I do sardines one day, eggs another, berries on a third day, freeze dried liver toppings, etc. That way you can also figure out his favorite for when you really want him to eat and he doesn't want to.

Make sure you have a clean water bowl. It's not normal for a dog to avoid drinking water. Try giving him some ph balanced water, or distilled water and see if he goes for it. Your tap may have chlorine or some other chemical added that his 100 sensory receptors in his nose (humans have 6 million) is picking up that he instinctively knows to avoid. We use reverse osmosis water for drinking water, the dogs get it, too. We also have their water in a small dog water fountain that keeps it charcoal filtered and aerated.

Just some ideas to troubleshoot.

Back