It’s like we have a new dog

lovelovelove3

I posted in this sub at the beginning of the year when my big reactive border collie lab mutt (3y) bit my little chiweenie (10y) for the second time since we’ve had the big guy. I asked for advice and didn’t necessarily receive anything helpful other than the indirect suggestion to do BE.

Well, my partner and I didn’t do that. Our big dog, G, has bitten multiple times, multiple dogs, and has also bit my partner once. He would have been extremely hard to re-home, so we invested in a dog behaviorist with the help of his parents, thankfully, because it is very pricey. It has been beyond worth it.

I would say that our main challenge was financial, which is why we didn’t seek out a behaviorist sooner. We did one on one training when we first noticed G’s issues, but it only got us so far. He is like a new dog now. We’ve met with the veterinary behaviorist twice since the incident. She’s given us a protocol and advised us to make some modifications with G’s arrangements at home. (I.e. keeping his bed in a low traffic area)

We work with him on walks and his reactivity has tremendously improved. He’s become friendly with a neighborhood dog and actually wags his tail when he sees that dog now. He used to be so afraid that every interaction with a dog led to him lunging and aggressively barking.

He has only growled at home a handful of times since we have had him back. (He was at my partner’s parent’s house for a month after biting the little one while we researched our options.) His main issue has always been around food, so we are still working on that. This is the only time he shows aggression at home, and none of it has been explicitly directed at the chiweenie. Obviously, that has been my main concern, and while things aren’t perfect, I am so fucking relieved.

All this to say, if you’re having major issues with your dog and don’t know what to do to fix it… hire a veterinary behaviorist. They are super legit and worth every penny.

@lovelovelove3 Great to see some good stories! I also have a collie mix, I’m seeing small improvements with her with just the training I’m doing. We have a trainer coming end of the month and I’m hoping that helps as well.

@byanyothername We asked our vet and they gave us a list. Honestly, there are not too many with availability— at least when we initially reached out. We went with Dr. Jill Goldman in LA. She does virtual appointments too!

@andi777777 Virtual because it was cheaper 😅 it was also nice to do it that way because we were able to show her our living situation and what he reacts to at home. So she made recommendations to move his bed out of the high traffic area we had it in, asked to watch him when he was barking, and even got a sense of how we handled him during these conditions.

@lovelovelove3 Our dogs made some good improvements with the food resource guarding, what we found helped was to get him to sit first then say yes and leave the room, when he’s eating we approach and at a safe distance throw some treats down near his food, gradually close the distance over the next few weeks, and eventually try and get him to take a treat from your hand. This made him associate us approaching him when he’s eating with treats. If you get a growl, don’t give a treat and back off and increase the distance again for a few days

@savedbythebloodofjesus3 We have been doing something similar! We give him a chew stick and toss treats his way while he’s eating it. Same concept— he’s beginning to associate us approaching in a positive way rather than thinking we just want to take his chew stick away.

He just gets weird around any food though. We keep him in a separate room/ behind a puppy gate whenever we eat or the little dog is eating. The behaviorist said “he should never feel in competition with another human or dog” in regard to food.

So the other day he growled at my partner while I was snacking…because my partner tried to get him out of the room. I think it’s fine for him to just not be around when we eat, but obviously we forget to close the puppy gate sometimes! It would be nice not to worry about these instances, and this is next on our list of topics to bring up with the behaviorist.

@miserable The vet prescribed meds, like Prozac for dogs, as an interim solution. We never picked it up though because the behaviorist didn’t mention it!

We saw a vet first and then they recommended that we meet with a veterinary behaviorist to get to the root of his issues. Good luck at your appointment!

@lovelovelove3 Veterinary behaviorists truly are worth every penny, ESPECIALLY if you’re in a place where BE is a potential consideration.

But it’s hard when the up front cost is so much and you usually have to travel long distances to see them in person, so I get why people hesitate. When I finally realized we’d spent way more in training fees, calming chews, etc. (that weren’t even working bc we hadn’t fixed the underlying anxiety), I finally bit the bullet.

So glad you’re seeing a difference, and good on you for pursuing solutions with your pup! Your dogs are lucky to have you!

@paulintexas Thank you!! :)

Yeah, they interact again now. We supervise them every time they are together just to be safe. They are pretty chill with one another, but we never have them both around food. We’ve also made some modifications to our furniture arrangements to ensure they both have enough space to feel comfortable. Sometimes they play and we go off of the little one’s comfort level, per the advice of the behaviorist. (We can tell when she’s not feeling it haha)

@dobichlan18 Thank you!

& gladly— it’s mostly desensitizing him and then counter conditioning his behavior. So for example, he gets really reactive around what we call “fence dogs” who come up to the fence barking when we pass by on walks. We were advised to take him around these dogs to desensitize him but also take into consideration his limits. We started walking at least 20 ft away from the fence dogs and have been progressively getting closer. We use treats to divert his attention and so long as he is chill when we walk by, he gets a treat. If he shows any reactivity, he does not get a treat because then he may think we are rewarding his reactivity. The idea is to get him used to these scenarios, while reinforcing a new pattern of behavior, so he associates seeing these dogs with getting a treat (or pets/ praise). I think a key component is setting the dog up for success, which is why we started so far away. Otherwise, he had no opportunity to be rewarded for not reacting.

Another thing that has been immensely helpful is pointing out other dogs to him. When we see another dog, we say “look, there’s a dog over there” so that he is now aware of it and less startled than when he notices on his own. His aggression is very fear based & giving him the heads up, so to speak, has proven to relieve a lot of his anxiety.

I hope this helps! Glad to hear you are working with your pup. It takes some time and effort, but as long as you stay consistent, you will see results. :)

Back