Is this separation anxiety or just “puppy looking for comfort”?

nduchan

I know I’ve been posting a lot in this group recently, y’all have just been so helpful and made me feel so normal about my puppy blues and stuff!

Let me paint your a word picture real quick. I live in a three story townhouse: first floor kitchen, living room, powder room. Second floor laundry room, 2 bedrooms and a bathroom, third floor is the master suite. I have been living in the living room (lol) since we picked up our girl. In the living room is her crate and a play pen so she stays contained and doesn’t hurt herself/ the house. When i leave my girl (8 weeks mini golden doodle) to try and make myself a cup of coffee or use the bathroom or even just sit on the couch she cries and barks. Like if she can’t see me: cries. If she can see me and doesn’t have access to me:cries.

I’m wondering if this is just her being a puppy and looking for the love she got from her mom or if it could be sparking separation anxiety? And if it is the latter, how do i put a stop to this?I’ve read maybe try leaving her alone at random increments at a time i.e 2 minutes one time, 4 minutes the next etc so she learns that i will always come back and there is no reason to be sad, or is there something else i could be doing? I’d really like to be able to make myself lunch and sit down and eat it without her crying at me 😭

@nduchan 8 weeks is the youngest most people will have access to a puppy, so give her the benefit of the doubt that it's a puppy thing. It's normal, but don't reinforce the demand crying/barking by always going back when she cries. Every time your puppy stops whining (even for a fraction of a second), reward her. Have you tried talking to her while you're out of her line of sight? I imagine your voice/presence would help.

One thing I suggest is to supervise her roaming the house a bit. I know many people like to permanently allocate a part of the room for their new puppy unless they're out to play/potty, but I find it counterintuitive. I let my girl sniff/roam on day 1 to acclimate herself so that she'd be less inclined to pee at home/her territory. Also, it'd let her understand that you're not going off to some wormhole and never coming back again.

Back