Is this play aggressive?

nagamorningstar

Today I brought my dog (Reina, 1 year old lab) to play with her my friend’s dog (Islay, 6 month old bordoodle), as I have many times. Typically they have a great time, but today my dog was snappy and somewhat aggressive seeming. In the second video, she seems to snap at the other dog which causes some yelping. What I am wondering is is the play in the first video (happened several minutes before the second video) OK? She doesn’t seem to be play bowing or anything... I’m just wanting to know if the play was “bad” from the start or if it was an isolated incident triggered by something. I’m wanting to know if there are behavior signs I’m missing that show that she was playing unfairly from the start.

(Their playing in the first video didn’t have any sound, but my friend and I were talking, so I left the sound out. The second video I left the sound in to show you guys the yelp that the other dog made)

@alanstranger1 Okay, thank you! The reason I'm concerned is because the same thing happened several times after this, and my dog seemed to be not allowing the other dog to play with a toy a bit later. At the end of the day the other dog seemed to be a bit cautious around my dog. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything!

@nagamorningstar I mean without seeing the rest of it it's hard to say for sure, I definitely think your dog is more toy-motivated than your friends dog which is pretty normal and fine as long as she isn't guarding the toy (hackles up, baring teeth, snapping) when the other dog gets too close none of which I saw. Some amount of like "haha this is mine" is pretty normal, to be clear, it's when like you start to see behavior that would scare you from approaching the dog that you need to be concerned.

The other dogs caution might also just be due to size difference and getting run over a few times honestly. I'd do some more calm socializing without toys next time, try to keep them a bit more low key.

But to answer your question, I didn't see anything that concerned me outright. Looked like a pair of pups having fun! :)

@nagamorningstar Looks normal to me. In the first video, both dog take turn being on the offense (being the one chasing, play nipping).
In the 2nd video, the small dog just get surprised my the bigger dog tackling it from behind and yelp to signal that he’s not comfortable with that. The big dog respond well to either the yelping or your verbal interference and not keep pushing further, which is a good sign.